Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

where do i begin??

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

karen

karen Report 20 Dec 2012 20:11

My mother and father never married, despite having contact with both i never really lived with either. Because of their....ownstrange anddiffering ways, i know nothing of my past. I cannot get info from anyone, I wasbroughtup by grandparents, again info is not forth coming. i have two half brothers, one i was told was dead (this appears to be untrue), the other one i cannot find at all. Where do i begin?? Any help would be really appreciated x

Penny

Penny Report 20 Dec 2012 20:14

with your birth certificate!

Penny

Penny Report 20 Dec 2012 20:15

If you want to send me details of what you do know in a message, I'll have a look in the refisters for you if you want

patchem

patchem Report 20 Dec 2012 20:39

Are your grandparents and/or parents still alive?
Thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Dec 2012 22:50

Whose parents were the grandparents who raised you? Your father's.....or your mother's?

karen

karen Report 22 Dec 2012 10:26

my grandparents were my fathers parents, although i never really had a lot of contact with him if i could helpit!! My parents were not married, and i have so far found 2 birth certificates, one from 1970 with the name karen evans and the other in the name of karen howard.....which is what ialways believed my name to be. I have a paper copy but this is dated 1973!!.
Because of the way my family are it is v difficult to get accurate info from my grandmother, and my grandfather died in 2011

karen

karen Report 22 Dec 2012 10:28

my mother is still alive, i have sporadic contact with her, and at best she is very evasive and devoid of responsability lol. And my father i avoid as much as possible.....bit of a mess eh lol

karen

karen Report 22 Dec 2012 10:30

I am in the process of trying to obtain my social service records as my grandparents were my foster parents. I am hoping this will fill in a few gaps

Flip

Flip Report 22 Dec 2012 10:56

If your mother is Evans, then unless your father went to register the birth his name could not be used, so you would have been registered Evans. It is possible that your registration was amended later to Howard. Which reg district was the 1970 registration - if it was subsequently changed there should be reference to in on the bmd index?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Dec 2012 11:58

I assume you do not have a full birth cert for Karen Howard? If you get this, assuming you believe it to be your birth, it will have the father's name, which obviously you will know to be correct. or not!
I can't see a Karen Evans birth which corresponds to this however.
Jan

karen

karen Report 22 Dec 2012 12:27

i wasborn and registered in northampton

patchem

patchem Report 22 Dec 2012 12:36

Karen,
Do you have a middle name?
And what is the name of your Mother?
Thanks

Added:
Karen Mary?
Your Mother had been married before?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 22 Dec 2012 12:39

Both birth registrations are in 1970. I'll PM the details to you - you obviously know your mother's maiden name so should be able to confirm if yours or not.#
These are def. for the same person.
Jan

Flip

Flip Report 22 Dec 2012 13:12

Karen, did you take Penny up on her offer to help?

There's not much anyone can find out about half siblings & your parents without knowing more info - the surnames are too common. Difficult to try to help as this is not a secure site.

karen

karen Report 22 Dec 2012 20:45

both certificates are mine, but i do not understand how i could be registered twice?? My mothers married name was evans, her maiden name was rawlings. I lived with her and her parents till i was 3, never had much to do with my father to be honest

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Dec 2012 21:22

What is it you want to find out? You seem to already know a lot of names.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Dec 2012 21:24

Do you know Mark and Sandie? They have your mother's name in their trees.

Rose

karen

karen Report 22 Dec 2012 21:51

yes have been in contact with them and they are related to my mothers g g grandmother.
I have another query, if someone gets married....and i was a witness at my mothers last marriage, how is it i can find absolutely no record of it??? I feel i'm going slightly mad lol

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Dec 2012 22:21

When was the marriage?

And where are you looking for the record of it?

If you were brought up by your father's parents, you obviously know who your father is.

What - exactly - do you want to find out?

karen

karen Report 22 Dec 2012 23:05

well this is the thing, i was only brought up by them because i was left with them. my parents didnt marry and ilived with my mothers parents till 1973, i have found 2 records one in the name of evans, my mothers name and the other howard, my father. Is it possible he may not be my father and if my name was changed how could that be done??