Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for my elder brother Trevor James Wilson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gail

Gail Report 29 Dec 2012 22:41

I am looking for my brother who I haven't heard from since about 1973. I moved to New Zealand and lost touch. He became estranged from the family, I don't know why as I am the youngest I was never told.
Trevor was born in 1945 in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, eldest son of George and Jean Wilson. He has 2 sisters Janice and myself Gail. I believe he changed his name and was / is living in the Melton Mowbray area.
Thank you
Gail

Reggie

Reggie Report 29 Dec 2012 23:19

If he has changed his name, and you don't know what the new name is, your only hope is for him to have a GR tree in his birth name.

Look in 'search all trees'

ValT

ValT Report 30 Dec 2012 16:41

Do you know if he ever married?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Dec 2012 16:53

If all else fails, I suppose you might try an ad or letter in the local 'paper'!

http://www.meltontimes.co.uk/

Or try local radio for Melton Mowbray:

http://www.103theeye.co.uk/

Jan

Gail

Gail Report 30 Dec 2012 21:44

Thanks for all the advice. I fund a note my sister had made saying she thought he had married a Doreen and they had 2 children.I have no idea why she thought this - and she can't remember either. I have searched all the marriages from 1973 and only found 1 marriage for Trevor R Wilson (wrong initial) to a Doreen A Smith which was in Peterborough, Northants in Oct 1990.

I also looked for names that sound like Doreen - there is one for Trevor James Wilson who married Maureen E Jones in Bolton in 1975.
I have thought about getting these certificates - if nothing else it rules them out but as neither Jones or Smith are easy surnames I don't think this will help in tracking down his wife let alone him.

I think my next step is contacting social services as he would be getting a pension and they might know but with privacy laws etc they might not say.

Thanks.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Dec 2012 22:20

Social services will not have anything about this - you need the Dept of Work & Pensions.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/

I would be very surprised if you can find anything out, but no harm in asking!

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Dec 2012 22:30

There is a marriage of a Doreen Wilson to another Wilson (wrong 1st names though) in Melton Mowbray 1986. A long shot but if I were to risk getting any cert that would be the one - unless the year is too far out?
Jan

Gail

Gail Report 30 Dec 2012 22:38

Thanks brummiejan,
will have a look at this one to see what names are as the date of this is ok.
Will ask my sister again as I am sure she knows more.
Gail

Gail

Gail Report 30 Dec 2012 22:49

I have just checked out Doreen M Wilson - sadly this is not the one as she died in 2008 in Melton Mowbray and there are sympathy messages from sister and brother in laws. I will check through other Doreens on 192 in Melton Mowbury.
Gail