Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 5 Feb 2013 12:46

I have just added two people to my tree who are still living. How do I "hide" their details? Bob

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 5 Feb 2013 13:07

Not sure, but I wouldn't put them without their consent anyway. You might edit names just to have initials if you wish.
Jan

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 5 Feb 2013 13:29

Thanks, I think I will delete them. Bob

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 5 Feb 2013 16:22

I have solved the problem by typing "Hidden" in the first name box, and "Male" in the surname box. Bob

Wungle

Wungle Report 5 Feb 2013 20:16

If you go into your account, there's a setting there you can use to hide any living relatives (But it also assumes anyone without a date of death is still living)

Cheers

Terry

jax

jax Report 6 Feb 2013 00:52

The hide living relatives, will only hide them from people who you have shared your tree with.

It does not stop them being found when searched for, through the search all trees function

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 6 Feb 2013 17:44

That's really interesting Jax, I always thought that the names were hidden from the 'search all trees' so does that mean that ALL names entered on trees show, just not when you give access to your actual tree :-S

(not wishing to hi jack thread here)

jax

jax Report 6 Feb 2013 18:07

Yes

If you search for anyone in your own tree you will not find them (with your board name)...even long dead ancestors, but anyone else will be able to see them

I removed myself and my parents for this reason....everyone else is dead in my tree

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 7 Feb 2013 16:53

Once again, thanks all. Bob