Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral Roles for Birmingham 1966 ...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 13 Feb 2013 13:13

Has anyone got the electoral role for Birmingham in 1966 please?
The Archives section at Birmingham Central Library is closed until
3rd September! And no-one there can do a lookup for me!

Many thanks
Rosemary

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 13 Feb 2013 14:25

Frustrating isn't it.

Shot in the dark. The site below is usually loaned the Birmingham Electoral Role by the Birmingham Central Library so that they can digitise them. The site has the 1960 ER completed already so they may have the 1966 one to be working on.

http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org

Good luck.

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 13 Feb 2013 16:25

Thankyou very much Jonesey.
I will try the link now.

Rosemary

wisechild

wisechild Report 14 Feb 2013 07:40

Have you tried any of the local Birmingham libraries for a copy of Kelly´s Directory?
It´s been many years since they were published, but if you ask, they may be able to track one down for you.

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 14 Feb 2013 10:09

Thankyou wisechild.
Unfortunately I don't live in Birmingham. But we had planned to travel up on Tuesday to go in the Central Library to look at the electoral roles.

Thankyou
rosemary

wisechild

wisechild Report 14 Feb 2013 14:37

Rosemary.
I may be wrong, but I think if you e mail BCC Libraries dept, they can check on the computer system to see if one is available & where.
Marion

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Feb 2013 15:52

So - I assume you are no longer coming to Birmingham are you!
If you want me to look anything up after the new library opens just say, I shall be going there anyway.
Jan

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 14 Feb 2013 22:02

Thankyou Marion & Jan.

Marion, I will ring the library tomorrow and ask. Thankyou.

Jan, no we won't be coming to Birmingham now, as we were coming up solely to look at the electoral roles.
Thankyou for your very kind offer. i will keep it in mind.

It is frustrating for everyone i would imagine! I asked the librarian if they could be viewed anywhere else, or if they could do a lookup for me, and the answer was NO on both counts. Shame.

Rosemary

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Feb 2013 22:40

Well, it is a bit annoying, but worth it to get a half-decent facility - the current library is shameful. And they have a staggering amount of stuff to move.
Just PM me sometime if you still need the lookup, though you might prefer a trip there yourself of course!
jan

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 15 Feb 2013 14:24

Thankyou Jan, I am sending you a PM

Rosemary

Rosemary

Rosemary Report 17 Feb 2013 19:01

Marion,
The Kelly's directory for 1966 doesn't have all the info in it for Palm Court hotel. someone looked on birmingham history Forum.

Jonesey

That link you gave, Midlandhistorical, I signed up, but they don't appear to have any listings after 1966.

Thankyou both very much
rosemary