Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Philip Sydney Morgan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 22 Feb 2013 18:23

I would like to get in touch with any family of my late uncle. I am his brothers daughter.
He lived in Turnford Herts and died in 1993.
His mothers surname was Knight and he originated from Sebastapool in Monmouthshire.
His family may not know that they have cousins. <3

patchem

patchem Report 22 Feb 2013 18:53

Welcome to the boards, Helen.
Have you looked to see who he married and what children he had by using free bmd?
Have you looked to see if anyone on here has him in their trees?

Do you mean this death in Middlesex?
Philip Sydney Morgan
Birth Date: 1 Mar 1930
Date of Registration: Nov 1993
Age at Death: 63
Registration district: Enfield
Inferred County: Middlesex
Register Number: B29D
District and Subdistrict: 2271B
Entry number: 3

and birth, for ref:
Philip S Morgan
Mother's Maiden Surname: Knight
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1930
Registration district: Pontypool
Inferred County: Wales
Volume Number: 11a
Page Number: 275

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 22 Feb 2013 19:57

Welcome Helen.

Do you actually know if and who Philip married?

Helen

Helen Report 22 Feb 2013 20:40

I have found his death registration and have a copy of his death certficate. the Qualification on it states "causing the body to be Buried". I have been told this is likely to mean he was registered by an hospital official and not by someone who knew him and probably the funerealwas arraned by the LA. I have found a possible marriage and I am waiting to see f the actual marriage certicicate can be found. He may have married a Margaret AP Taylor in 1966.
i cannot find a death registration for her.
any help gratefuly received

patchem

patchem Report 22 Feb 2013 21:07

If the marriage is correct then she could be born up to 1950, so could have married again as he died at a young age.
Have you found a likely birth for her?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 22 Feb 2013 21:14

What is the name of the informant on the death cert?

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Feb 2013 10:20

You can purchase the marriage cert on line from the GRO for £9.25

The father's details on the cert will tell you whether it is your uncle

IF it is, you can start to look for possible offspring

Was this man your father's only sibling?

Helen

Helen Report 9 Mar 2013 17:07

I can not find any marriage detaila but it is possible he served on HMS Hydra during the 1960's

Helen

Helen Report 10 Oct 2013 13:50

my uncle was a retired mobile janitor in Brent when he died .

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Oct 2013 09:22

There are numerous marriages for the name Philip S Morgan................what makes you think the 1966 one in Buckinghamshire may be relevant?

Also, the only birth for the name of the bride was in 1954...............so Taylor was probably not her maiden name.

I have to say it sounds as though your uncle didn't have any close relatives.........or, at least, if he did, he wasn't in contact with them. The local authority wouldn't have funded a funeral if there were any relatives to whom they could pass the responsibility

One assumes that your father had lost contact with his brother?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Oct 2013 09:28

Have you contacted the other GR member who has a Philip Morgan born Wales 1930 in her tree?

Helen

Helen Report 11 Oct 2013 10:00

my uncle lost contact with the family around 1962, he never made contact with anyone in the Newport, Gwent area after that as far as |I know. it was a chance that we found his death certificate , although the spelling of Sydney was a help. we decided to do our own search before contacting the Salvation Army and found his death certificate.
it maybe he had a relationship and there were children , who giving the circumstances of his death, he was not in touch with. we do know he had been in the London area for around15 years before he died. it was possible he was in the navy from 1962 to 1970.

where do I find the other GR member please. ( :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Oct 2013 11:30

Click on the 'search' button (top right).....select 'search all trees'

Flip

Flip Report 12 Oct 2013 12:42

Helen, have you got the final death certificate - or the interim death certificate which is usually issued by the coroner to enable burial? It should be clear from the certificate which it is, and who reported the death - if it is the final certificate and it was reported by the coroner, there should be a coroner's report.

Although the coroner's records are closed for 75 years, you can contact the local authority to request access or details - as you are a relative, and your father was his brother. Not saying they will allow this, but some authorities are more understanding than others.

Is there a usual address for him on the certificate - it may be worth looking at the electoral rolls. If he was in the RN for enough years, there should also be a pension record for him - you could try contacting armed forces pensions.

If he died with no known living relatives, he must not have had any assets as otherwise the LA would pay this over to the treasury solicitor (if, after deducting funeral expenses it was over £500) as Bona Vacantia, and he is not on their lists.

Have you checked local newspapers for a report on his death?

Just suggestions, for other avenues to follow.

Flip

Flip Report 12 Oct 2013 12:48

Forgot to mention, probate or grant of administration has no closure period. You have his date of death - you could check if anyone proved his estate - details and the form to fill in are available here:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate/copies-of-grants-wills

Helen

Helen Report 12 Oct 2013 13:10

thank you for your help- I will follow this up