Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RICHARD ANTHONY HOLMES

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Mar 2013 14:47

I have more information on my mother's brother. He was adopted in 1967 at the Bromley Magistrates Court in Bromley Kent. He would have been about 16years old when adopted. I dont know if I'm allowed to say but I have the name and address of the family who adopted him at the time. We did meet him in the 1970's - he visited my mum at our family home. If he is still alive it would be useful to know as I have information to pass on to him. He was born in 1Q1951. Mother's surname McCormack. Anyone have any information?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Mar 2013 15:17

That was old to be adopted.

As you know his new name name have you tried looking for a marriage for him ,or trace him on www.192.com

jax

jax Report 2 Mar 2013 15:31

Previous thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1320054

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Mar 2013 16:44

Presumably he kept his first names and just changed his surname. As Shirley says, you know his current name so there is no point saying you are looking for Richard Anthony Holmes. Chances of him seeing this are pretty much nil so you need to look for him under his current name, as suggested.
Jan

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Mar 2013 17:06

This is his adopted name. I am looking everywhere I can think of - just hoping maybe there is someone from his adopted side that might see this on genes reunited. Who knows - you have to have hope!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Mar 2013 17:15

Have you tried looking for his parents instead, as you say you know their names?
Jan

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Mar 2013 18:20

Well, Just done that! I've found the marriage record for the parents (findmypast) and have the mother's maiden name - what do I do now?

jax

jax Report 2 Mar 2013 18:40

Have you tried googling his or his parents names to see if they are on 192.com? There is a Richard A living in Nottinghamshire...but the name is not unusual so may not be him

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Mar 2013 18:45

When did they marry? They would be pretty elderly now so might they have died? If they have, and this took place before 2007, you should find online records.
You haven't said if you have tried 192.com or Facebook yet for Richard.
Jan

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Mar 2013 22:06

Thanks for all your advice - I have found and traced the marriage of his a.parents, found his a.mother on the 1911 census, and the a.grandmothers family (!) traced where they were living up until the late 1960's. I have called as many people with the name R A Holmes that appear on 192, even the poor guy in Nottingham was called, and a chap in Oxfordshire - fortunately everyone I have called have been very receptive to my calling them and asking a personal question, but alas with no outcome. One poor chap even called me back by accident and left me an answerphone message about a double glazing quote, he started off the message saying "It's Richard Holmes calling" so you can imagine my disappointment when I listened to the whole message! - my heart did skip a beat though with hope.

Other surnames that are appearing are Kelly and Wilson if this can be of help further in the ancestry tree!

Anyway - where there is a will there is a way!

jax

jax Report 2 Mar 2013 22:26

If his mother has been found on the 1911 census...I take it she has died? have you found her death? maybe he was the informant on the death cert?

Did his adoptive parents have any children of their own, have you tried looking for them?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Mar 2013 22:26

So, are you saying his adoptive parents were born before 1911? Making them in their late 50's when they adopted him? If so, have you looked for their deaths?
Jan

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Mar 2013 23:25

Hi - I have been able to track down the death record for the a.mother - it was in 1987. It is not so simple to track the a.father down as there appears to be a few with the same name and initials. So far I cannot see that there are any birth children, or any other adopted children. What would a death certificate tell me?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Mar 2013 23:35

Obviously there are no guarantees, but death certs can be very informative as you get an address for both the deceased and the informant, who is usually a relative. It's a little long ago perhaps, but at least you will have something a bit more recent. It might also narrow down a death for her husband if he turns out to be the informant.
Jan

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 10 Jun 2013 23:57

I am just updating this post - After purchasing the death cert for my uncle's a.mother I have been able to trace who registered the death (her nephew) - unfortunately my uncle had died before 1987 in Australia in a car crash.

Due to the ages of the people I was conversing with I was not able to find out anymore (I didn't want to cause them any upset) - my next course of action might be to find out exactly when and where in Australia he died - I shall see how I get on! But at least I can now stop calling every Richard Anthony Holmes on the electoral register!

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 11 Jun 2013 06:25

what was your uncle's name that died in 1987? Ryerson's Index may have his details

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 11 Jun 2013 09:25

Hi - my uncle's name was Richard Anthony Holmes. He was born 2nd March 1951.
It is possible that he died between 1981 and 1987. What is the index you are talking about, I am a novice when it comes to research resources.

Jackie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jun 2013 00:20

THE RYERSON INDEX
to death notices and obituaries in Australian newspapers

They are notices which appear in Australian newspapers with the basic details transcribed by volunteers

http://ryersonindex.net/search.php
If you edit your title to include the word Australia, it might attract the attention of GR members from there who have a better idea of current sources.

Death certificates aren't normally accessible until 30 years after the death. :-0

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 12 Jun 2013 04:40

Nothing on the index I am afraid. Do you know what State or Territory he died in?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Jul 2013 00:10

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. I'm afraid that I know nothing more than that he died in a car crash in Australia in the '80's. there is a death index on ancestry for somebody with the same name and it says that mother's name unknown - my gut feel is that this relates to my Uncle - I think it said Adelaide.