Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MARY ANN CONNOR b1888 WHITECHAPEL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jenVG

jenVG Report 26 Mar 2013 22:56

We had no success in finding descendants by posting on the Find Ancestors topics so wonder if this posting will be kicked out as a duplication? Sorry if it is against the rules. Just ignore if so. :-(. She married Henry Frederick Bass in 1907 and disappeared after the 1911 census. I'm still hoping somebody knows what became of her.

jenVG

jenVG Report 26 Mar 2013 22:59

Oh dear - I see all threads get merged together. Sorry.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 26 Mar 2013 23:13

Marriages Dec 1907 (>99%)
BASS Henry Frederick Mile End 1c 768
CONNOR Mary Ann Mile End 1c 768

patchem

patchem Report 26 Mar 2013 23:16

Could you put a link to your other post, please?

Added:
?
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1291045
?
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1304217

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 26 Mar 2013 23:19

For Ref..........

Household transcription
1911 census
Person: BASS, Henry Frederick
Address: 25 Arbour Sqr Stepney E

BASS, Henry Frederick Head Married M 25 1886 Motor Van Driver London Bethnall Green VIEW
BASS, Mary Ann Wife Married F 21 1890 Nil London Whitechapel VIEW
RG number: RG14
Piece: 1593
Reference: RG14PN1593 RG78PN56 RD21 SD1 ED22 SN365
Registration District: Mile End Old Town
Sub District: Mile End Old Town South Western
Enumeration District: 22
Parish: Mile End Old Town
Address: 25 Arbour Sqr Stepney E
County: London

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Mar 2013 23:38

If you've looked for births on freebmd, and not found any..............there aren't any descendants.

Have you looked for/found deaths for the couple?

Threads don't 'all get merged'.....what makes you think they do?

If you post multiple threads, multiple threads appear on the boards

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Mar 2013 23:45

If you have her birth cert.....you can cross-refer

Death

Name: BASS, Mary Ann
Registration district: Hackney
Year of registration: 1969
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Date of Birth:4 April 1889
Volume no: 5B
Page no: 1784

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Mar 2013 23:48

I wonder if his forenames were transposed..............

Death

Name: BASS, Frederick H
Registration district: Camberwell
Year of registration: 1959
Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at death:73
Volume no: 5C
Page no: 139

jenVG

jenVG Report 27 Mar 2013 15:10

Mary Ann Connor was definitely born 9th August 1888 so the above death can't be right - unless it is not unusual for the wrong date of birth to be given.

The family think she must have moved in with another man and taken his name. Word of mouth was that the marriage to Hen..Fred.Bass did not survive. If a woman was known by another name for decades then chances are her death would get registered with her new name as maybe nobody knew she was really still the wife of Hen.Fred.Bass. Divorces were too expensive for working classes.
I thought if I posted on the find living descendants section somebody living might recognise her maiden name and give us a clue.
The death you list for Fred.Hen.Bass in 1959 is probably him and I have got that death cert - but a strange name shows in the informant section. I think this is one of those "have to give up on it" situations.
Thanks for your endeavours everybody.
Jen

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Mar 2013 16:19

Have you looked for her in 'search all trees'?

jenVG

jenVG Report 27 Mar 2013 23:09

Hi Reggie, I have done that using both Mary Ann Bass and Mary Ann Connor. I will do it again just in case somebody new has come on board. Thanks for your interest. Happy Easter. Jennifer

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Feb 2017 12:59

Jennifer has raised mention of Mary Ann on a thread on a different topic, and as this one seems to be the most recent of her threads about Mary Ann, I'm adding this to it.

Is this the couple in the 1939 register?? I don't have credits on FMP to see all the details, but I'm sure someone else can look it up.

1939 Register Transcription (Preview)
Bass Household Fulham, London, England
First name(s) Last name(s) Birth year
Mary A Bass 1888
George H Bass and 1 more person are on this record

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Feb 2017 13:03

And Mary Ann's death ??

Mary A Bass
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Mary A Bass
Birth Date: abt 1888
Date of Registration: Dec 1945
Age at Death: 57
Registration district: Fulham
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1a
Page: 311

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Feb 2017 13:22

Thanks for that. We already have eliminated the Fulham Mary Ann Bass by getting that death certificate. I just thought she may have gone north of the border soon after the 1911 census. Roll on 1921 and hope I am still here to see it.

I have deleted my other thread

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Feb 2017 17:19

Argyll Gran.

I am a member of Find My Past for a couple of more months. Maybe I can help you with one of your queries? Would be nice to reply you for all your help. You can go into the 1939 register by name and exact date of birth which I have done for all the Mary's and Mary Ann's just in case she was using another surname and none of the ones that came up were her. That is why I thought she may show up in the Scottish version if she had gone there with her new bloke. We have more or less given up on her. No new GR members come up on a tree search but I am not in Ancestry so could do with tree searching there. Just in case someone new has joined.
Regards
:-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Feb 2017 18:16

Many thanks for your kind offer, Jennifer - I'll have a think if there's anyone I need to find out about!
Someone has already searched for me on the 1939 register, for all the Edith Butlers born 1886, and I've investigated them all, but none seem to be mine.

Re your Mary Ann - there are loads of marriages and deaths for Mary (Ann) Connors in Scotland after 1911 - in case she went back to her maiden name - but no way to know if any of them are her.
There are only a handful of marriages and deaths for Mary (Ann) Bass'es, but none look like yours. The dates wouldn't fit.

jenVG

jenVG Report 12 Feb 2017 12:50

Do you have any idea of where your Edith Butler lived as you can go in by streets and look at every house.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Feb 2017 13:14

No, unfortunately I don't.
I'll PM you later, to avoid high-jacking this thread.
Thanks!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 13 Feb 2017 04:02

Keep us posted ArgyllGran -- I'm sure that more than one of us has taken a poke around in an idle moment to look for your Edie!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Feb 2017 09:33

Thanks, JC!
Roll on the 1921 census!

If anyone wants to have another go at Edie's whereabouts after 1911, here's the link to my thread about her (don't know why it's coming up as the NZ GR!):

http://www.genesreunited.co.nz/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1358964