Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Winifred BREARLEY

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

pauline sandy

pauline sandy Report 15 Apr 2013 09:02

I am trying to trace any living relatives of Winifred Brearley who was living in Rotherham Yorkshire until l944 when she moved south to Brighton. Contact was then lost in the late forties. I have no other information

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Apr 2013 09:04

What year was she born? Was she married or is that her maiden name

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Apr 2013 11:15

How did you find out about her?

Is she named on a birth cert?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2013 10:47

PM received and copied over with Paulines permssion

Hi Shirley, I assume Brearley was Winifred's maiden name. My mother gave me away to Winifred when I was two weeks old and she left her marital home in Rotherham in l944 and took me to Brighton. I have my ID card with these details on it. I have no other details I'm afraid.Regards Pauline.

Pauline to add to a thread span down the page to the big white box with post on its left side and type your reply in there and then press the Submit button .This adds it to the thread .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2013 10:49

So a bit puzzled ?/ if you were given to Winifred and then taken to Brighton did she bring you up ?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Apr 2013 13:16

If contact was 'lost' in the late 1940's, who raised you? If I read your post correctly, you would have been no more than 6 years old...........

Why would Winifred leave her 'marital home' after you had been 'given' to her?

Do you have your own birth cert?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2013 14:04

OR are you saying your mum left HER marital home when you were two weeks old and took you to Brighton and handed you to Winifred.

Cant imagine someone would hand over their baby to a complete stranger and why select Brighton from Rotherham. There would seem to be some family connection somewhere

pauline sandy

pauline sandy Report 18 Apr 2013 15:26

My mother Dorothy Mary Fletcher gave birth to me in Blackpool having already had and left 4 children in Yorkshire. 5 years ago I traced my mother (who died in 1993) and am in contact with my remaining brother and sister - still not sure whether we have the same father! The final part of the puzzle is Winifred Brearley. I have an ID card for 1944 with my name on it and the signature of Winifred Brearley. I was taken into care in Brighton when I was about 2 yrs. old and the only information I was given on leaving care at 18 was that a Mrs. Winifred Brearley had come down from Rotherham with me and I was taken away from her because a neighbour had reported her - what for I don't know but that was the reason I was taken into care. I had no addresses for Mrs. Brearley until my foster mother died a few years ago and the ID card came to light. I am just intrigued how Mrs. Brearley came to travel from Rotherham to Blackpool to collect me. This story was born out when I visited Rotherham some four years ago and spoke to an elderly lady who remembered a Mrs. Brearley living opposite her and she said "I remember she left her home and returned with a young baby and then left her husband and went down south with the baby". I have no other information but feel there must have been a prior connection between my mother and Mrs. Brearley - the final piece of the puzzle I suppose

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2013 15:33

I wonder whether she would be on Brighton electoral rolls after 1946 when they were resumed

They won't be online though but would need to be looked for at the local main
Library

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2013 15:47

What about the address in Rotherham that the lady remembered her living at with her family

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2013 15:53

.??

Name: Winifred Miller
Spouse Surname: Brearley
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1938
Registration district: Rother Valley
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
Volume Number: 9c
Page Number: 1773
Find Spouse: Samuel L J Brearley

Name: Winifred Bramley
Spouse Surname: Brearley
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1942
Registration district: Halifax
Volume Number: 9a
Page Number: 1074
Find Spouse: Harold Brearley

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2013 16:07

?

Name: Samuel Leonard J Brearley
Birth Date: 17 Mar 1904
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1975
Age at Death: 71
Registration district: Rotherham
Inferred County: South Yorkshire
Volume: 3
Page: 0699

So lived in Rotherham reg district

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2013 16:15

Name: Winifred Bramley
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1909
Registration district: Halifax
Volume: 9a
Page: 376

Name: Winifred Brearley
Birth Date: 15 Jun 1909
Date of Registration: Mar 1990
Age at Death: 80
Registration district: Leeds
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Volume: 5
Page: 418

Just looking around for any clues .

It may help if you can find out her husbands name when she lived in Rotherham

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2013 18:06

If you were born in Blackpool and Winifred lived in Rotherham then she must have known your mum and her busines to be in contact enough for Winifred to go to Blackpool to collect you.

Was your mums name Fletcher and where you born a Fletcher. Maybe Winifred had a family connection or maybe was just a friend who was willing to help out. One wonders why she left her husband to take you to Brighton .

Unless you can establish who her family was then the puzzle may never be found.

Have you researched your mums family to see if maybe she had a sibling Winifred ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Apr 2013 18:13

Winifred and Samuel Brearley had children from 1938-1958 so that rules them out .

Harold and Winifred nee Bramley didnt have any children so maybe they were going to adopt you but he changed his mind so she left him and took you with her , Its all a bit maybe though

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 19 Apr 2013 00:42

More information:

I am trying to trace a Dorothy Mary FLETCHER nee Ward who was I believe born in l916. On the 17th October, l936 she married a Cyril Washington FLETCHER who was a fitter in the RAF. They were married at the parish church of Edward the Confessor, BARNSLEY. Her father was a WilliamEdgar WARD. The only other details I have is that at the time of her marriage her residence was The Gables, Dorworth Road,? Barnsley. Also I know that in 1944 she was a cook in the National Fire Service in Blackpool. She may also have had a connection with a Winifred BREARLEY who resided at 5 Central Drive, Thurcroft, Rotherham, and this person subsequently moved to Brighton in 1944.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 19 Apr 2013 00:43

Dorothy's parents:

Marriages Sep 1915
Beckett Martha E Ward Sculcoates 9d 477
Ward William E Beckett Sculcoates 9d 477

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 19 Apr 2013 01:05

Thurcroft comes under Rother Valley,

So this could still be the marriage:

Marriages Dec 1938 (>99%)
Brearley Samuel L J Miller Rother V. 9c 1773
Miller Winifred Brearley Rother V. 9c 1773

There is another Brearley/Miller marriage in Halifax and one in the Leeds area that could explain the births Shirley mentioned. One Halifax birth is before the marriage though.

Samuel again marries in the Rother Valley district in 1959.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 19 Apr 2013 01:17

Possible:

Births Mar 1914 (>99%)
MILLER Winifred Chambers Rotherham 9c 1538

You should contact the closest library to 5 Central Drive, Thurcroft, Rotherham to look at old electoral rolls.

Rose

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Apr 2013 12:05

So more was known about Winifred and where she lived. would have helped knowing that info.