Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find living relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 1 May 2013 01:44

From Belfast surname Stanton my fathers name was Anthony Patrick Stanton 1935-40 / 28/10/2010

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 May 2013 08:08

Have you tried the phone book?

Or looked on here in 'search all trees'?

You'll need to find accurate birth info for your father before you can research properly

Your avatar sends out an unfortunate message.....................

John

John Report 2 May 2013 23:11

Born 01/10/1935-28/10/2010 and my avatar is fine thanks !! :-D

patchem

patchem Report 2 May 2013 23:27

As you are looking for living relatives, are you trying to find children of other marriages of your father, or cousins, or who?

Do you know your grandparents' names, and have you looked to see if anyone else on here have any of them in their trees?

I do not think that many people who would want to help you would appreciate your avatar.
When you say it is fine, have you considered how it is regarded by others?

Thank-you

Added:
Avatar changed from original one.

John

John Report 3 May 2013 00:20

I don't know anything other than they were from Belfast .....thought that was the point in asking on here (to get help) !!!

John

John Report 3 May 2013 00:50

Anybody help ??????

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 May 2013 08:18

What happened to 'please'?

Look for your father's birth............buy the cert for parental info

Google GRONI..............

Look in 'search all trees'.............

Who registered the death?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 May 2013 09:39

Assuming your father married your mother, their MC ought to give their ages and their father's names if known. You'll then get a better idea of his YOB. You say he was 'from Belfast' but could he have been born elsewhere?

This is the link to GRONI - General Registry Office, Northern Ireland - which gives the charges they make to look up the birth (or marriage) reference in the index. You'd then have to order it at an additional cost. The indexes aren't on line

http://goo.gl/qrKTW

The same link can be used for NI marriages. English marriages might be listed for free on
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/ which is a work in progress
or on this site and other subscription ones

English and Welsh certificates can be purchased from
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Thanks for changing your Avatar - the tattoos are much more pleasant to look at than someone poking their tongue out ;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 May 2013 09:42

This thread might be of help with Irish reseach for you to undertake yourself

INFORMATION ONLY for those Searching for IRISH Gen
by Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/951721

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 May 2013 13:15

There is one listing in the phone book for Stanton in Belfast

Check it out..............

John

John Report 27 May 2013 22:51

Can anybody help please ??
IM AT A BRICK WALL HERE !!!

Cheers

patchem

patchem Report 27 May 2013 23:02

Have you managed to find his birth, and/or marriage certificates?
Have you checked out the phone book entry?
When you say you are at a brickwall, it helps if you say where you have looked.

John

John Report 28 May 2013 00:43

I'm stuck because I never knew my fathers parents names so finding my fathers birth cert and it being the right one is my issue ! Upon finding correct info how do I find his parents from there ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 May 2013 09:08

Did your parents marry - many people posting requests on this board where brought up in one parent familes, or in care, so your parents situation is nothing to be embarrassed about. If they did, you really need to get the certificate as that will give his father's names if he knew them.

If your parents married in N Ireland, GRONI will look for the MC.

Have you looked for yourself for English/Welsh marriages between your parents? Are you happy to give us your mother's name so that we can look for the index details for you?

If married, could they have done so in Scotland? Scotlandspeople hold the indexes for those records - pay to view although you can make a 'free search'.

You've said "Born 01/10/1935-28/10/2010" so the next step after the above is to request a search on GRONI for any Patrick Anthony Stanton birth certificate with his father's name. If a BC is found, it will give the names of both parents including mother's maiden name, or the mothers name alone if she was unmarried.

Yes, you are going to have to spend money. You may take some 'wrong turns' and get nothing for your bucks. Without documented information you can't move forward.
We can look up English/Welsh records on your behalf and give you the reference numbers, but you'll have to pay for the certificates.
Northern Ireland records aren't available for free index reference number searches (or at least not on the internet) so that is down to you.

As patchem says - exactly what have you managed to do for yourself?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 May 2013 09:28

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1325502

Change of info!

Looking for living (if still alive)half siblings from late fathers previous relationship anybody help please ?

Late father - Anthony P Stanton (B) 01/10/1940- (D) 28/10/2010
Birmingham England
Also lived in Belfast Ireland which is where half siblings were apparently born

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 May 2013 09:31

Have you got the death cert yet?

Have you tried to get the birth cert?

Have you looked at the phone book entry?

You have the exact DOB.......so it should not present any problems

If this is important to you, the expenditure will be worthwhile

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 May 2013 09:52

If the man only had a 'relationship', it's doubtful that any children would be registered with his surname

Did he marry your mother?

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 28 May 2013 13:31

Hi John and welcome to GR

I am sending you a "Personal Message" (PM) to see if you know a lady who seems to have your Dad on her Ancestry Tree. Photo's of him on there too.

Barbara x