Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Roland (Joe) Barnes (1946) and his children

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2013 09:51

I am the daughter of Roland (known locally as Joe) Barnes, I haven't seen him since I was about 5. I know he has several children although I don't know all of their names.

He has Marianne, Joanne and Steven James who would all be in their 40s now.

I am 33 and I know he has some children who are younger than me also.

He lived in Bassingham in the late 70s/early 80s and I think he would have stayed in Lincolnshire, I know his children did stay locally to him in the early 80s but I have no idea after that.

His dad (I believe) came over from Canada, he married over here in 1940. Their names were Rose McGarry and James Barnes.

I am really stuck on ideas to move forward with my search, I have contacted people on here who have possible connections and heard nothing back, trawled through facebook and 192, asked on various other sites and have got this far (I knew very little at all before this) but I am now stuck again.

Any ideas would be very gratefully received.

Thank you.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jun 2013 10:03

Welcome to GR and the boards.

Just to clarify.

Was his birth registered as Roland E J Barnes - 1946? His birth might have been at the end of 1945 but registered the following year.

There are 6 other Barnes/McGarry births listed in Lincoln district on Freebmd between 1942 & 1956. Have you followed those up in case they were siblings and have kept in touch?

Did he marry the mother of his other children, or acknowledge paternity on the certificate? Have you looked on friendsreunited for them, possibly in the 'schools' section?

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2013 12:51

Thank you for replying.

Yes he is Roland E J Barnes, I have followed up his siblings as far as I can, but, again I seem to be getting nowhere.

He married the mother of the children he had before me (Pamela Wells), he didn't marry my mother though, I'm unsure if he remarried again. He is on his older childrens birth certificates but he isn't on mine, or my 2 brothers, again I'm unsure if he is on his younger childrens certificates.

I did have a look on friends reunited but Barnes is such a common surname there were hundreds listed in Lincolnshire at the years the siblings I know of would have been at school.

Its a bit of a nightmare to try and find out anything really.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2013 12:54

Thats interesting about it possibly being 1945 he was born as well, the record I found said March '46, would that have been too long after 1945 for it to be registered?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jun 2013 13:16

The records are in quarters of the year .

In the case of births you have 6 week to reg a birth so someone born late Nov to end Dec could be registered in Jan in the new year so their birth would show in the Mar qtr

For instance my dad was born 28th Dec 1907, his mum reg him in late Jan 1908 so his GRO ref shows as as mar qtr 1908 . his actual birth though is shown on the cert as normal

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2013 13:23

Thank you for replying.

It sounds like he may have been born in 1945 then. I did seem to recall he had a birthday near christmas but then when I found the record I dismissed it as I thought he was born in Jan/Feb/March 1946 rather than just registered then.

Thanks for your help.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jun 2013 13:33

wonder if their death certs would help with the informants details

?

Name: Rose Helen Barnes
Birth Date: 12 Oct 1921
Date of Registration: May 1985
Age at Death: 63
Registration District: Lincoln
Inferred County: Lincolnshire
Volume: 7
Page: 1859

not sure if this is his dad cos his name doesn't cross show on the marriage in 1940

Name: James Ernest Barnes
Birth Date: 26 Apr 1917
Date of Registration: Oct 1990
Age at Death: 73
Registration District: Lincoln
Inferred County: Lincolnshire
Volume: 7
Page: 1881

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2013 13:47

Thank you for taking the time to help.

I'm not sure about his Dad, I believe he may be from Canada and may have came over for the war, again this is just bits of information I am slowly piecing together, if it wasn't James Barnes it was definitely his Dad who came from Canada.

I'll order a copy of that death certificate and see if I can get any details from that at all then. I had a Rose H McGarry born in 1911 who I thought could have been Rolands Mother, given the age of the Rose Barnes you have just found I think the ages would fit in better with her childrens birth dates.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jun 2013 13:53

it is him cos the marriage is on FMP

MarriageFinder: James E Barnes married Rose H Mcgarry

Name: BARNES, James E
Registration district: Lincoln
County: Lincolnshire
Year of registration: 1940
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Spouse's last name: Mcgarny
Volume no: 7A
Page no: 1958

Name: MCGARRY, Rose H
Registration district: Lincoln
County: Lincolnshire
Year of registration: 1940
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Spouse's last name: Barnes
Volume no: 7A
Page no: 1958

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jun 2013 13:57

Had trouble posting the last info kept getting the Error massage. taken me nearly 15 mins to get it to post.

Cant see a 1921 birth but then Rose may have been born in Scotland or Ireland

That death for James Ernest looks to be the correct one and as its later then the informant could be a better option

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jun 2013 14:03

Thats great thank you for that, I had been looking for ages and couldn't find him.

I'll probably be better ordering his death certificate and going from there since he would probably have registered Roses' its more likely one of his children would have registered his.

Thank you for your help

:-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Jun 2013 17:19

You are welcome.

Please come back to the thread when you have the cert , Maybe we can help then further :-D

Ambrose

Ambrose Report 16 Jun 2013 12:28

Hi rose helen mcgarry born 1921 lincoln died 1985 lincoln her parents were roland mcgarry and rose atkin.Rose married 1940 lincoln james ernest barnes born 26 april 1917 canada.Rose and james had 7 children Patricia a 1942, Jean d 1944, Roland ernest james 1946,kathleen m 1949, jaqueline m 1951, vivian d 1953 zevlyn s 1956 all registered lincolnshire.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 17 Jun 2013 17:57

Have you tried 192.com? He's there in Grantham.

Rose

Marianne

Marianne Report 1 Mar 2024 11:21

Hi Mandy

I'm assuming this is you.

I believe you have met Joe.

Steven did say you came down but didn't know where you were now.

I remember the 3 of you and hoped over the years you were all well, and your mum.

Stay safe

Marianne

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Mar 2024 12:23

Welcome to the boards, Marianne.

As Mandy started this thread in 2013, and isn't a regular user of the boards, she will probably not see your post.

You can try sending her a private message - just click on her name ("Unknown") at the top of one of her posts, and send a message.
If she still uses the same email address, GR will notify her of your message.

She may or may not be able to read it, or reply.

God luck!

Marianne

Marianne Report 5 Mar 2024 12:27

Thanks,

I did think it would be a long shot due to the year she posted this.

I've seia message through the unknown by her name.