Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adopted in 1957, Nottingham, where do i start?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Keith Report 25 Jun 2013 21:43

It has been difficult so far trying to trace my birth parents. It was done through a church in Nottingham in 1957. They have poor records. I don't even know my birth name. Birth certificate is no good, does not have birth parents on it. All i know i was under 1 month old, and i was born in March 1957. Advice welcome.


brummiejan Report 25 Jun 2013 22:34

Hello Keith.
I assume you mean you have just an adoption certificate.
I would get some advice from social services who can point you in the right direction.


KathleenBell Report 26 Jun 2013 11:11

You should be able to access your adoption file which should give you more information on either your mother or your mother and father.

As Jan has said you should contact social services in Nottingham who should be able to tell you what you should do next.

Kath. x


brummiejan Report 26 Jun 2013 12:54

Have you checked out the government site? I am not sure if church adoptions are covered in the same way, though they must have gone through the same legal process presumably:



Penny Report 26 Jun 2013 13:40

Church adoptions are just the same , they are just an agency to whom prospective parents apply and mothers with babies to give up make contact.

Exactly the same legal process is gone through. I guess The church its self will not have a record per say, but the adoption society that worked in conjunction with the church ( often called something like St So-and-so's society for moral welfare) will have, if they still exist. Many don't . Contact social services in the locale and ask the post adoption team where the records are,They should know.


Keith Report 26 Jun 2013 18:30

Thank you all for info and messages. Will discuss with the family and decide on our next step. :-S


Sheila Report 27 Jun 2013 18:24


You need to apply to the adoption section of your SS in your area, they apply to the Registrar General for the release of you birth name.
They will ask you go into to speak with them as the adoption was pre 1975, and should apply for your adoption file.
Your name maybe released to you before you have your appointment with them, there is quite a back log with accessing files right now, some are taking 9-12 months, does not help that Norcap has gone bankrupt now , but if you get your birth name before this let me know.