Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LILY GIBBS - SOUTHAMPTON c1896

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ELIZABETH

ELIZABETH Report 30 Jun 2013 17:00

Hi

I'm looking to find any relatives of the above who, I believe, was my paternal grandmother having given birth to my father in the Union Infirmary, Southampton on 4 August 1918.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Jun 2013 17:12

Elizabeth, was this her maiden name or was she married?
If you want to look for relatives on here, you can use 'search all member trees' option from search box above right.
However, I wonder what your basis is for her birth year?

Not sure if this is relevant to you:

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 about Lily Gibbs
Name: Lily Gibbs
Birth Date: 30 Jun 1897
Date of Registration: Jul 1986
Age at Death: 89
Registration District: Southampton
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume: 20
Page: 983

Jan

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Jun 2013 17:13

Did you father stay with his mother or was he raised elsewhere?
I wondered if he knew if she had married later.

Gwyn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jun 2013 17:41

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/lilly%20gibbs%20m.%20william%20chappell/thread/1188365

Extract from above..........................

There is no father's name on the birth certificate so I've nothing to go on from his side. I only know Dad was brought up in Hollybrook House and have contacted Southampton archives about this.

ELIZABETH

ELIZABETH Report 30 Jun 2013 17:44

Thank you for your response. There is no father's name on my Dad's birth certificate so I would imagine it was her maiden name and, in all probability, she may have married later. Her address on the certificate is given as 60 Northumberland Road.

My Dad was not raised by his mother. He spent his years in Hollybrook House in Southampton before making his own way in the world and he never had contact with any of his family.

I know nothing of his mother apart from her name and address, but have contacted Southampton archives to see if they have a date of birth or other details which might help me trace her.

Regards

Liz

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Jun 2013 17:57

Lily's address may be her family home.
If you contact Southampton main library or archives, you may be able to find if there were any other GIBBS living at the same address.
Although relationships are not shown on electoral lists and Lily would not feature on them in the year of birth, the names could be linked to her, eg. her Father?

Gwyn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jun 2013 18:02

1911 census info for possible 'Lily'...........and for the address.............. are on the other thread

juma

juma Report 2 Jul 2013 11:06

Had a look in Kellys Directory at the library for 60 Northumberland Rd and occupant from 1912-1922 was Ernest Harbut.
Ernest Harbut marriage in Southampton 1894 to Louisa Gibbs.
Daughter Lily Florence Harbut born 1897
Louisa Gibbs death 1914 Southampton

pm to Elizabeth to return to thread

ELIZABETH

ELIZABETH Report 2 Jul 2013 16:14

Thanks for this. Its too much of a coincidence as both surnames are uncommon. It appears that Lily must have used her mother's maiden name at confinement. I should have more information from Southampton archives requested to confirm her date of birth at least

Regards

Liz

juma

juma Report 2 Jul 2013 20:45

Looked for the family on 1911 census. Error in transcription as image shows Harbut but transcribed as HARBERT.

Ernest and Louisa at 60 Northumberland Rd but no Lily. She is with Henry John Harbert and his wife Julia Harbert and showing as their daughter. Address is 202 Derby Rd near to Northumberland Rd.

Lily is also with Henry and Julia showing as their daughter in 1901 living at 12 Cliff Rd Southampton.