Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ethel May Scott (nee Drummond)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 17 Jul 2013 08:02

I am hoping to find descendants of Ethel May Drummond born 1904 in Newburn, Northumberland. Ethel married in Glasgow in 1928 and gave birth to my father in law in 1929. The marriage did not last and Ethel was back on Tyneside by the time the couple divorced in 1932. My father in law never saw his mother again, in fact, when he was growing up he was allowed to believe she was dead. It was the mid-sixties before he was told that this was not the case.
We now know that Ethel married again in 1934 in Consett, to a William Scott, and had more children - possibly William, Margaret and David. After a few years they moved to Wallsend where, I believe, they lived the rest of their lives. Ethel died in Wallsend in 1965.
I would dearly love to find someone who knows something about Ethel and who she was. It would mean a great deal to my father in law who knew nothing of his mother but her name.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Jul 2013 08:58

Try 'search all trees'.......on here

Put your family tree on GR

Those are two ways of finding connections

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 17 Jul 2013 09:20

A public tree on Ancestry has all the details you have given regarding Ethel.

Tree owner......DawnCoutlas45

You can check out the tree on Ancestry's sister site here.......

http://www.mundia.com/gb/

Karen

Karen Report 17 Jul 2013 09:20

Thanks Reggie. I have searched all trees to no avail.
I currently have a problem with my ISP, but my husband's tree will be uploaded once that is resolved.
Karen

Karen

Karen Report 17 Jul 2013 09:23

Thanks Pricklyholly. I am in contact with Dawn, but the only details she has on Ethel is what I have given her. Unfortunately the family that Dawn is in contact with do not know of Ethel.

Karen

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jul 2013 13:37

Do you have Ethel's death cert? It is quite likely to be a relative who registered the death, and this might give you a lead to follow.
Jan

Karen

Karen Report 17 Jul 2013 15:56

Thanks brummiejan, I do have Ethel's death certificate and it was signed by her son William, so I do know his address in Wallsend as of 1965. Unfortunately, William Scott is a very very common name, and I don't have any experience of tracing living people. As well as things like 192.com, I am currently considering local newspaper adverts, along with writing to everyone called Scott in Wallsend!
Any suggestions will be gratefully considered.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 17 Jul 2013 17:23

You could look at old electoral rolls to see who was living with William at the time. If you discover his wife's name it might help.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 17 Jul 2013 17:23

Unfortunately, this looks to be David:

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 about David Thomas Scott
Name: David Thomas Scott
Birth Date: 30 Dec 1941
Date of Registration: Oct 1996
Age at Death: 54
Registration District: North Tyneside
Inferred County: Tyne and Wear
Register Number: C19C
District and Subdistrict: 0541C
Entry number: 101

Rose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Jul 2013 18:21

Rose's suggestion re. the electoral register is the best one - kind of what I had in mind too. You could also check Ethel's address to see whether her husband was still living, or even if any other children were still living there - it's just possible.
Jan

Karen

Karen Report 17 Jul 2013 18:26

Hi Rose. Yes I agree that that is the correct David. I have his birth date from Durham records online. I think I have found the correct marriage for him through freebmd and I will try to follow them on the electoral rolls as well as William. That is not a job I have started on yet. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Karen