Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking 4 Rita McKinney (was Gannon) or family of

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phil

Phil Report 20 Aug 2013 21:04

Hello, on behalf on my mum I am searching for her birth mum who on the birth certificate is listed as Rita McKinney (Formerly Gannon). We have written to our council to request my mum's adoption record but in the meantime we continue to see if what we can find.
We do also have a copy of my mum’s adoption certificate and transfer of baptism, however in regards to anything which will help track Rita we have following:-
Birth Certificate
1. Birth was listed as Ellern Mede Nursing Home, Barnet, Hertfordshire
2. No father listed
3. Rita is listed as working at the Stores within Alexandra House, Kensington Grove.
Baptism Record provided by the Priest of Whetstone of Westminster
1. God parents were Rita Flannery and john Neville Hargrave-Thomas. John he believes could have managed or owned Ellern Mede nursing home as he was on a number of baptism records for Whetstone.
2. On the record it says my mum was born from her mum’s adultery.
Electoral Register
1. The only Rita McKinney I can find is on this website but strangely not on others. It is for the same year 1948 and for living At Albert Hall Mansions in Kensington Gore. I cannot find anything before or after or link this Rita with anyone else who got married or divorced.
2. She is listed as not living with anyone else by the name of McKinney. Nobody before or after her with the same name.
Internet Searches (ancestory.co.uk, findmypast.co.uk and genesreunited.co.uk)
1. I am unable to find any marriages in the UK or Ireland between and McKinney and Gannon (Rita was said to be formerly Gannon on my mums birth certificate)
2. There is a Rita Gannon born in Ballinrobe in 1917 although I don’t know if she ever moved to London. I have wrote to the Ballinrobe historian to see I can gain further information.
3. Rita Kathleen Gannon 27 Sep 1924 to May 1996 - Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, England
4. Myrtle Rita Gannon BIRTH: 7 Jan 1928DEATH: Jul 2002 - Enfield, Middlesex, England
5. I cannot find any people born Rita McKinney on English register who would match these dates.

Our search continues, however I was hoping someone could give me some tips where I might be going wrong or other places to search.

Many Thanks in Advance

Phil :)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Aug 2013 21:55

I noticed you added a postem on FreeBMD:

http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?r=149386343&d=bmd_1375741217

There is a death for this baby the following year.

Rose

Phil

Phil Report 20 Aug 2013 22:43

Thank you Rose. I can cross that one off my list.

Phil

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Aug 2013 01:04

Have you tried researching Rita Flannery?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Aug 2013 02:48

Also worth considering Rita was a nickname for Margarita.

Rose

Penny

Penny Report 21 Aug 2013 06:45

You are aware that your application for your Mums adoption file will very likely be rejected? it is only the adoptee that is usually party to the info contained in it.

You say 'we'..... Have you applied or your Mother herself?

The fact that the baby was baptised before being given for adoption, strongly suggests to me that he mother was RC hence probably irish, or of irish origins anyway

Fiona

Fiona Report 21 Aug 2013 07:39

will pm you..have found a birth for a possible 1/2 brother

Phil

Phil Report 21 Aug 2013 10:20

Hi

Thanks everyone so far for your help; Fiona that is great information and will dig down this route tonight.

Penny - My mum is 65 and to get her adoption record she has to be interviewed so it's not me. I am just the internet savvy one, however new to this!

Phil

katherine

katherine Report 28 Jul 2014 14:17

Hi.my name is katherine, my mother s name is Mary josephine Glossop. Her mother was Rita gannon from ballinrobe. Everything you say fits.I feel this is who your looking for. Looking foward to hearing from you .

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2014 14:24

Nicholson, as it is a year since Phil posted, click on his name to send a private message, assuming GR has a current email address for him he will be notified.

katherine

katherine Report 28 Jul 2014 14:33

Thankyou