Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Megan

Megan Report 26 Aug 2013 14:20

Hi.
I want to find my dad.
However all I know is he was called Nick and he lived/lives in Ipswich. My mum won't tell me anything about him. I think she doesn't really know. And my family have no information either. Is there any way to find him??
Thank you.

Penny

Penny Report 26 Aug 2013 14:23

How many men are there that might live in Ipswich called Nick? I think you prob know with just that info your case is pretty hopeless.

is he named on your birth cert?

Did he pay maintainance for you?

Does he even know you were born?

Megan

Megan Report 26 Aug 2013 14:27

He knows I was born he left when I was around 1 year old. He isn't on my birth certificate He never paid maintenance. I realize it's a long shot. Is there really no documents a father has to sign at a birth of a child??

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 26 Aug 2013 14:28

Welcome to the boards Megan.

To make it even more difficult, his name might have been Nicholas.

Megan

Megan Report 26 Aug 2013 14:36

Great. :-|

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Aug 2013 14:57

If your parent's weren't married and your mother didn't take him to court for maintenance then there won't be any documents relating to him.

Unless you can persuade your mother to tell you more then I think you are going to be disappointed. If he was still around when you were one then she must surely have known his surname.

Kath. x

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 26 Aug 2013 16:19

Taking into consideration that your Mum was pregnant for approx 9 months, and the fact that your Father was around for a year after you were born, did your Mum never meet or even hear about any members of "Nicks" family?

As Kath posted..........surely your Mum must have known his surname?

patchem

patchem Report 26 Aug 2013 22:06

By 'left' do you mean he was sharing a home with your Mother?

If so, ER search of home address to see names of people living there in birth year and afterwards?

Frances

Frances Report 26 Aug 2013 23:57

I am new to all this family search stuff, too. However I do other kinds of research often. Could you find out about your mother's past from letters, certificates, CVs, and photos, asking her about how she met your father (clubs, universities etc). Try to pick up a clue here and there but without sounding too nosy. You could ask a question one day, leave it a few weeks and ask another question. You have to have a friendly relationship with your mother for this.

Hope it helps.

Frances

Frances

Frances Report 27 Aug 2013 00:01

Try to find a name or names of mutual friends (of your mother and father) or employees, etc. Try to find out if he had any sisters, brothers, etc. You have to be a bit of a detective really.

Frances