Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Seeking Biological Grandmother and Uncle

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 9 Oct 2013 05:30

Hello everyone,
I am new at this and am doing everything in my power to find these two family members.
Backstory:
My grandmother, Olive Crown, and my grandfather, John Hasell-Walker were married in 1942 in Chatham, Kent.
1943 my father Peter John Hasell-Walker was born in Surrey Mid Eastern, Surrey, England
1945 my uncle Adrian Geoffrey Hasell-Walker was born in Surrey Mid Eastern, Surrey, England
1946-1948 they divorced. My grandmother did not take my father, only Adrian.
My father has not seen or heard from either since.
I have Olive (my gran) and Adrian's (uncle) birth certificates.
I have also located two travel documents dated 1950 and 1952 to Lagos, Nigeria. My grandmother seems to have been traveling with her boyfriend and then they were married as the documents list her as his wife. I can NOT find anything past 1952. I did locate the gentleman that they traveled with and he was remarried (if he and my gran were even actually married as I can not find any marriage papers) in 1956 and had a child who was on the travel documents then.
Could someone please help me with the next steps?
Thank you so very much for your time and patience with a newbie.

patchem

patchem Report 9 Oct 2013 07:00

Adrian Hasell-Walker has his tree on genes (twice).
Suggest you contact both of him just to make sure you get the most recent email address for genes to contact.

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 9 Oct 2013 07:03

I just did! I saw it after I changed it from looking at records only to trees! Hopefully this is it! It just seems way too easy.

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 9 Oct 2013 07:22

Forgot to say thank you!

patchem

patchem Report 9 Oct 2013 07:23

Yes, it does seem too easy.

Did Olive use the surname name Hasell-Walker, or just Walker?

Added:
If you have Olive's exact date of birth you can search for deaths just using that date and her first name (on ancestry and others)

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 9 Oct 2013 07:34

I have searched for Olive Hasell-Walker and Olive Walker born in 1923 in Pancras. The only results I come up with are her marriage to my grandfather and the travel documents. Nothing else even with her maiden name (Crown)

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 9 Oct 2013 07:38

As for her exact date of birth, all I have is 1st quarter 1922.

patchem

patchem Report 9 Oct 2013 07:51

If you get no reply from Adrian then you can try and find Olive, who may have died in this country and so give further clues. Or she may still be alive.
You can apply for her birth certificate to get exact date of birth.

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 9 Oct 2013 07:55

Would her death certificate list her maiden name? Or is there a way to search for people who are deceased with the same date of birth?
Even with her exact date of birth, how would I go about finding her if she remarried? I think that is the reason there hasn't been contact yet. Men are so much easier to trace.
Sorry for so many questions.
Thank you so much for your help.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Oct 2013 10:17

If she died in England/Wales after 1969, and her maiden name was known by the person who registered the death, it would be on the cert

You wrote....................

I have Olive (my gran) and Adrian's (uncle) birth certificates.

Then you said you only knew the qtr................so you don't have the certs..................only the online GRO index records.

If you obtain the birth cert, thus finding out the DOB, a search can be made for deaths of 'Olive' with the recorded DOB.

She may, of course, be alive.................and you may hear back from Adrian, which will render all the above unnecessary

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 9 Oct 2013 19:58

Yes, sorry, I only have the online GRO. Unfamiliar with all of the terms and am trying to grasp them all. Thanks.
I haven't heard anything yet but, am still hopeful.
But, I would like to try to go back a bit farther. I know that Olive's mother's maiden name was Morris.
My father was contacted by a solicitor back in the late 70s stating that they were unable to locate her. I am curious to see if she had any siblings and/or other children.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Oct 2013 21:34

Not seeing any other Crown mmn Morris births.

Not seeing the travel documents in 1956. The last I see is the gentleman return alone in 1954.

patchem

patchem Report 9 Oct 2013 22:12

Married in a hurry?

Olive Crown
Mother's Maiden Surname: Morris
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1922
Registration District: Pancras
Inferred County: London
Volume Number: 1b
Page Number: 90

Marriages Mar 1922
CROWN George J Morris Brentford 3a 110
MORRIS Helen Crown Brentford 3a 110

This might not be the marriage, and Miss Morris might have married someone else before she married Mr Crown.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Oct 2013 23:39

????

Name: George J Crown
Birth Date: abt 1881
Date of Registration: Jun 1943
Age at Death: 62
Registration District: Surrey Mid eastern
Inferred County: Surrey
Volume: 2a
Page: 342

Name: Helen Crown
Birth Date: abt 1901
Date of Registration: Mar 1932
Age at Death: 31
Registration District: Kingston
Inferred County: Surrey
Volume: 2a
Page: 732

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Oct 2013 00:00

Name: George John Crown
Probate Date: 2 Nov 1943
Death Date: 2 May 1943
Death Place: Surrey, England
Registry: Llandudno

George John Crown of 40 Carlisle Road died at 49 Dorking Road, Epsom, Surrey. Probate to The Public Trustee. Effects £709. 2s. 3d.

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 10 Oct 2013 03:53

Thank you all so much!
From what I understand she did marry in quite a hurry.

As for Mr. Braham I have travel documents on findmypast.com for Lagos, Nigeria 1950,52,56,58.
I am not sure if he was married to the woman following my gran in the 56 trip but was in the 58 and had a child.

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 10 Oct 2013 04:11

I have made copies of everything each of you have helped me locate. I appreciate your help so much.
I have another question. How do I go about finding out if Olive had any siblings?
Maybe I can locate them by her family.

patchem

patchem Report 10 Oct 2013 07:00

If they are her siblings they will have surname Crown, mother's maiden name Morris.

That is what we have been looking for on free bmd etc. Only her name comes up.

If the marriage I found is wrong and it is a second marriage for her Mother, then she could have half-siblings with a different fathers surname.

If the marriage I found is correct and rootgatherer found the correct George J Crown, then he could have been married before.

So what you need is Olive's actual birth certificate, just to check out her parents.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Alexandra

Alexandra Report 10 Oct 2013 07:09

Thanks!!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Oct 2013 08:06

Looks like he could be in California as Hasellwalker.

http://www.advancedbackgroundchecks.com/phone/4154596784

There's also a marriage for him to a Gail C Wood on Ancestry.

Rose