Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vicki

Vicki Report 26 Oct 2013 13:20

Hello, my uncle was put up for adoption in the60s and tracing him is proving to be difficult. I recently obtained his original birth certificate and are in the process of going on the contact register however after this we are not really sure were to go next as we dont know his adoptive name etc. is there any way of finding this out does anyone know?

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 26 Oct 2013 13:29

Hello Vicki.
I would think if your uncles next of kin adds their name to the national adoption register as you are about to do that will be the best start. Hopefully your uncle will do the same at some point.

jax

jax Report 26 Oct 2013 14:15

Have you checked to see if he or anyone else has him in a tree on here?

Vicki

Vicki Report 26 Oct 2013 16:13

I have there is a match and iv messaged them

Vicki

Vicki Report 26 Oct 2013 22:51

Hi jan i know you cant when they are under 18 but as hes 50+ i wasnt sure if there was a way to find it out as many people often know adoptive names.

Georgina

Georgina Report 8 Nov 2013 22:37

Vicki, do you have details ie. birth mothers name, date of birth etc

Vicki

Vicki Report 9 Nov 2013 09:13

Hi yes his d.o.b is 12/5/1965 his birth names richard. Dont really want to post to many personal details on an open site. We are considering using an intermediary service now

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Nov 2013 09:52

Have you joined the contact register yet?

Wait for a while to see if it proves productive.............but you have to bear in mind that not every adopted person wishes to know his or her birth family.

Vicki

Vicki Report 9 Nov 2013 13:51

Yeah we've already had a meeting with after adoption and she said its rare that their is ever a match on the contact register. We've already done ukats and there was no match with that one. He's nearly 50 so as selfish as it may sound on my part id rather find him now before its to late and if he says hes not interested at least iv tried,

Penny

Penny Report 11 Nov 2013 09:07

I'd dispute that statement- the adoption contact register is the very best way to go and there certainly ARE matches. Lots of them too
I found my sister through it for one!

He may not even know he was adopted.

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 11 Nov 2013 09:18

http://www.ukbirth-adoptionregister.com/index.php

UK Birth Adoption Register has it's 1332nd match!
Having only had the register online for a little over 8 years, we are pleased
to announce our 1332nd reunion

:-)

Vicki

Vicki Report 11 Nov 2013 09:33

We wondered if he wouldn't know he was adopted however in order to get a passport driving license or married you need both birth certificate and adoption certificate. We are aware that he may not know if he's never travelled drove or got married but hopefully he will.
Im only repeating what i've been told. However we are still looking at using a third party. Most towns have are gov' funded and if like the town i live in its not then after adoption team usually have a deal with an association which is a third of the cost.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2013 09:40

It's always possible that he has a 'good' adoption and doesn't want to upset his parents while they are alive by looking for his birth family.

I had a query about the need for certificates to obtain P Ports as one of my researched extended family was adopted in and apparently had never been told that he wasn't a biological child. Other GR members said that they were adopted but didn't need a full BC to get a PP

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Nov 2013 09:40

The whole point of the adoption system is that once the process is completed, all documentation is in the adoptive name.

The birth cert which has to be produced to obtain a passport or a driving licence is the one issued at the time of the adoption.....................

Vicki

Vicki Report 11 Nov 2013 09:43

Again this is something i was told by the after adoption team at social services. They need both documents not just an adoption certificate

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2013 09:49

So may be the rules have changed since the GR members applied for theirs? :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Nov 2013 09:52

Have you left a letter on his adoption file? If he does go looking for it in the future, then at least he will have the opportunity to read it. Up date your contact details when ever you move.

Vicki

Vicki Report 11 Nov 2013 09:52

We have discussed every out come. We know he may not want to hurt his adoptive parents if they are still alive. We know he may not know. We know he may just not be interested. We discussed the fact that he may have looked and not been able to find us. We have gone over absolutely everything. But he is nearly 50 and I personally would rather he knew that we are looking and he hasn't been forgotten. Also going through a third party he can receive counselling should he require it.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Nov 2013 09:53

Sorry, but that simply doesn't ring true...............that would be contrary to the whole ethos of the adoption system, which is confidentiality.

And what about people who aren't aware that they have been adopted...........think it through. It isn't even logical.................

Vicki

Vicki Report 11 Nov 2013 09:55

My aunt is going to write the letter for him unfortunately since he was adopted the counties have changed so we have to track down were his records are