Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

christopher shaw

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janette

Janette Report 29 Oct 2013 15:38

hi can any one help please,
joseph william shaw born sheffield 1906 and grace newbould born sheffield 1910 married sheffield 1932.
they had a son called christopher shaw born sheffield 1947 ish.
joseph was my grand mother sarah ann shaws brother.my mum remembers christopher when she was young growing up but when they all married and moved on lost contact my mum is in her 70s now and would love to no if christopher shaw is still alive and if yes like to no if he is married and as any children
thanks for reading.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Oct 2013 15:53

Hi Janette.
Can you just say when and where your grandmother last saw him? Might narrow it down a bit if looking for a marriage. You will have your work cut out with such a common name though.
I can see he had no middle initial, so this helps just a little! Assuming he married (if he did) between the ages of 20 and 40, there are 3 possibles in Sheffield alone.
Have you tried 192.com?
The other thing to check is if anybody else is researching the same family - use 'search all trees' from search box above, using any names you have. You never know.
Jan

Janette

Janette Report 29 Oct 2013 16:00

it was a very long time ago when she was young.mum says he didnt have a middle name.
thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Oct 2013 16:07

He could be the informant on the death certs
Name: Joseph William Shaw
Birth Date: 29 Aug 1906
Date of Registration: Sep 1984
Age at Death: 78
Registration District: Sheffield
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Volume: 3
Page: 1319

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Oct 2013 16:13

Name: Grace Newbould
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1909
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
Volume: 9c
Page: 731

Name: Grace Shaw
Birth Date: 27 Apr 1909
Date of Registration: Jun 1981
Age at Death: 72
Inferred County: South Yorkshire
Volume: 3
Page: 1519

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Oct 2013 23:02

Find his birth on freebmd...............no need to be uncertain about the year

Do you know what became of his brother?

EDIT.........I see he died in infancy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Oct 2013 23:09

The name is too common for anyone to be able to pinpoint him, and no-one other than you has Grace in a GR tree, so it doesn't look as though any other GR members are researching them

Janette

Janette Report 30 Oct 2013 08:08

thankyou all for your help.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Oct 2013 11:16

Do you know who registered the deaths of the parents?

Janette

Janette Report 30 Oct 2013 14:54

hi i have just got some info that might help,
just asked my mother some questions about christopher shaw,
she said he married his childhood sweetheart, and went to live in bournmouth,she as no dates for the wedding or the ladies name,they divorced before 1965 and had a little boy.
christophers had talked about going to live in america with one of hhis aunties his mums sister.dont no if this is of any help.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Oct 2013 15:05

None whatsoever, I'm afraid, without names

And emigration records are not available on line after 1960

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Oct 2013 15:55

Is it likely they divorced before 1965? Christopher would only have been 18 then.
Jan

Janette

Janette Report 30 Oct 2013 17:21

hi
mum seems to think he divorced 1965ish as my mum and dad was living in ecclesfield sheffield and i was about 2 years old and i was born in 1963 she says he was some sort of insurence man
thanks

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 30 Oct 2013 17:46

But as he was born 1847, the earliest he could have married was 1963 aged 16. Then within 2 years - aged 18 - he had a son & was divorced.
Possible, but just seems less than likely to me.
I am thinking the divorce date is likely to be wrong, what do you think?
Jan

Janette

Janette Report 30 Oct 2013 18:50

mum says he devently got married and divorced,my mum was born 1942 and christopher was younger than her born 1947,she says the marriage did not last long due to the lady having an affair.it might be the divorce was going through at the time of 1965
thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Oct 2013 21:08

The earliest marriage for a Christopher Shaw in Sheffield is 1969 to a Mary Simmonite that marriage has one son born in 1975

Mary Simmonite was born in 1948 Sheffield so could be a childhood sweetheart

Before then its 1962 which would be too young for a 1947 birth

Other marriages between then the Christopher,s have second christian names

Janette

Janette Report 30 Oct 2013 21:28

hi,
thankyou for all your help everyone
just been on the phone to mum,she says the second name simmonite does ring a bell,so it must have been 1969 he married,so now im wondering with the child been born in 1975 did they divorce in 1975?
jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 31 Oct 2013 11:33

Well, that makes more sense that 1965 doesn't it! I can see the marriage and birth you mean.
My inclination would be to get the marriage cert and confirm it is your Christopher. If it is, you might be able to glean enough info about Mary to think about tracking her down if you think that would help you.
There is a likely birth for his spouse, in 1948, but you really need the marriage cert as a starting point.
Jan

Janette

Janette Report 31 Oct 2013 14:27

thankyou once again for your help.