Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Smith family New Zealand in the 1980s (Howick)

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gail

Gail Report 13 Dec 2013 08:31

I am trying to contact David, Philip, Susan and Karen Smith who are my half broth ers and sisters. They lived in Howick NZ in the 1980s and I think they were born there. I have the address as 8 Ridge Road. Their father was Harold Smith born in 1922 in South Yorkshire England. He left the UK for Kenya in the 1960s with his wife Brenda.
Any help would be really appreciated!! Thanks

Pam

Pam Report 13 Dec 2013 08:50

Have you tried Search All Trees ? It is located under SEARCH at the top right hand of the page and put in the information you have on Harold.

Valerie

Valerie Report 13 Dec 2013 11:54

...you could try the 'National Library of NZ' (on-line) --it has an
'Ask a Librarian' service ..they will check electoral rolls (past & present) -hopefully may trace parents Harold & Brenda from 1980's at the address you have.
Valerie
WAus

Gail

Gail Report 2 Sep 2015 12:47

Hello everyone.
I'm still searching for the Smith family in New Zealand. I've tried the 2 suggestions, but unfortunately had no luck. Sorry to be boring, but has anyone any more suggestions please?

Thanks very much.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Sep 2015 14:21

you have tried the white pages?

at present there are 4 Ds and a David in Howick for example

https://whitepages.co.nz/white-all/smith/howick/

it would be easy enough to write to them all to enquire

have you enquired at the address you had for them in the 1980s?

even if the present occupant knows nothing about them, it is always possible that a neighbour would remember them ... perhaps the present occupant would ask around.

Gail

Gail Report 2 Sep 2015 18:53

Thanks for your suggestions!

I will certainly try all of them.

malyon

malyon Report 2 Sep 2015 22:25

this is him says with wife brenda

Harold Smith
New Zealand, Archives New Zealand, Passenger Lists
Name Harold Smith
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 1969
Event Place Auckland (other ports also listed), New Zealand
Age 47
Birth Year (Estimated) 1922
Ship Name Oriana
Departure Port United Kingdom
Arrival Port Auckland (other ports also listed)
Arrival Place Auckland (other ports also listed)

Gail

Gail Report 2 Sep 2015 22:40

Wow!
Thanks so much! I have details of him going toKenya in 1955 alone, and again later with Brenda, but this is the first time I've heard of his arrival in New Zealand.
Smith is such a common name that it has been impossible for me to get much information. I've tried searching for the children in Howick schools, but don't know which schools they might have attended.
Thanks again for your help!

malyon

malyon Report 2 Sep 2015 22:45

look in family search it should show you the image of them going to new zealand

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KGMK-3C1

malyon

malyon Report 2 Sep 2015 23:05

listed)
Harold Smith Immigration 1969 Auckland (other ports also listed), New Zealand 47 1922 Oriana United Kingdom Auckland (other ports also listed) Auckland (other ports also listed)
Brenda Smith Immigration 1969 Auckland (other ports also listed), New Zealand 36 1933 Oriana United Kingdom Auckland (other ports also listed) Auckland (other ports also listed)
Philip Lindsey Smith Immigration 1969 Auckland (other ports also listed), New Zealand 4 1965 Oriana United Kingdom Auckland (other ports also listed) Auckland (other ports also listed)
David Jonathan Smith Immigration 1969 Auckland (other ports also listed), New Zealand 9 1960 Oriana United Kingdom Auckland (other ports also listed) Auckland (other ports also listed)
Karen Lesley Smith Immigration 1969 Auckland (other ports also listed), New Zealand

malyon

malyon Report 2 Sep 2015 23:09

the only child not there is susan she must have been born in new zealand

phillip was 4 yrs

david 9 yrs

karen 2 yrs

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Sep 2015 00:14

well done malyon, with a name like Smith you need all the middle names you can get :-)

one of the Smiths in Howick in the white pages is a DJ ...

I wonder ...

http://reviewsnz.com/karen-lesley-smith-doctor-auckland/

http://www.newzealandcorps.com/corp/360086.html

Gail

Gail Report 3 Sep 2015 08:29

Well!
Thank you both SO much!
It's brilliant knowing the middle names - I have a much better chance of tracing them.
They may not even know I exist.
I will try the ones from the white pages and see what happens.
I really appreciate your help. :-)

Gail

Gail Report 3 Sep 2015 10:54

Just phoned 3 people I found on the white pages site, but no luck unfortunately!
Disappointing because I thought they were a really good bet, but hey hum! I'll keep on searching. :-(

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Sep 2015 11:47

unfortunately you can rule out the Dr Karen Smith I suggested with the links above

I found her bio on line and she received her first degree in 1980 ... when your Karen was 13

even with middle names, it's a hard name to trace!

Gail

Gail Report 3 Sep 2015 12:26

Thanks Joonie.
In fact I did phone her, but obviously she wasn't the right person.
It's a nightmare.
The four 'children' May not even know that Harold was married before and had a daughter. A strange situation, but I'd love to find them and learn a bit about my father, and see a few photos of him!

Gail

Gail Report 3 Sep 2015 16:42

Philip Lyndsey Smith was born in Australia about1965.
I have actually found a Philip , and spoken to him on the phone, but it wasn't the right one sadly.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Sep 2015 17:15

edit

from link posted by malyon (in deleted post)

there are 3 David J listings there

http://personlookup.co.nz/profiles/smith/63

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Sep 2015 17:36

in NZ,

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Search/Search.aspx?Path=%2FqueryEntry.m%3Ftype%3Ddeaths

You can search for death records if:
the death occurred at least 50 years ago, or
the deceased's date of birth was at least 80 years ago.

Harold was born in 1922 so more than 80 years ago

if Brenda was born before 1935 that would also be more than 80 years ago ... yes, the passenger list gives an age that makes her born 1932 or 1933

I searched for Harold Smith deaths 1969-2014 ... there were 113 results

Only a couple had 1922 birthdates and those names (with middle initials) did not match up with births in Yorkshire (at freebmd)

do you have any other details about Harold and Brenda? middle names, when and where married so we can find them in the marriages index to check names, Brenda's age ... any of those would help search for deaths

there are also a half-dozen Brenda Smith deaths that could fit (assuming she was younger than Harold likely by a few years, children born in the 1960s)

but again more info about her name and DOB is needed

Gail

Gail Report 3 Sep 2015 17:58

Hi Joonie
Sorry if I caused any problems. Hope I haven't added any personal info on the site