Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for descentants of Walter Jack Hicks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hicks

hicks Report 2 Jan 2014 08:13

Please can anyone help me. I have been trying to research my family tree as I have 14 half brothers and/or sisters whom I have never met.

Our father's name is Walter Jack Hicks, born 1913, I am his first child, then he and my mother split up and he then went on to have 14 siblings who I am trying to trace.

I beieve he re-married in Islington in 1947 and his spouse was possibly Gwendoline Chamberlain.

Many thanks,

John Hicks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jan 2014 08:26

Look for births........once you establish beyond doubt that the marriage to Chamberlain is definitely his...............and whether Chamberlain was her maiden name.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

By 'siblings', I take it you mean offspring - who would be your half-siblings

Have you checked in 'search all trees' to find whether anyone else on GR is researching your father etc?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jan 2014 08:29

Look for the man's death............buy a copy of the cert. The informant is probably related

Was 'Jack' his actual registered second forename?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jan 2014 08:30

Could this be his death?

Death
Name: HICKS, Walter John
Registration district: Tower Hamlets
County: London
Year of registration: 1986
Month of registration: June
Date of Birth:9 May 1913
Volume no: 14
Page no: 1187
Reg no: 686

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jan 2014 08:33

The marriage in 1947 was for a Jack W......not for a Walter J

You must get confirmation of his CORRECT names............

And you need, in any case, to obtain a copy of the marriage cert...............

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jan 2014 08:37

This is the woman who married HIcks in 1947

Death

Name: HICKS, Gwendoline Violet
Registration district: Barking & Dagenham
County: Essex
Year of registration: 1981
Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Date of Birth:22 December 1926
Volume no: 11
Page no: 0145

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jan 2014 08:45

Looking at records.........and assuming the 1947 marriage IS for your father........there appear to be FOUR legitimate offspring.........not 14, as someone has led you to believe.

He may, of course, have fathered any number of illegitimate children, but finding them would be virtually impossible

hicks

hicks Report 2 Jan 2014 14:42

Dear Reggie,

Thank you so much for all your help, much appreciated. The spouse in question is Gwendoline Voilet, born in 1927.

I have purchased a copy of my parents marriage cetificate (his first marriage).

Sorry to appear somehat 'dim' but how did you manage to obtain the offspring information, as I would love to follow this up. Somewhat relieved to know it was four offspring and not fourteen!

Kindest wishes,

John

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Jan 2014 15:20

I looked on freebmd.......the site whose URL I posted at 08:26