Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

please help find rels Carmel (Mary Bridget)Healy

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 20 Jan 2014 12:05

now deceased from Co Monaghan Carrickmacross Donaghmoyne Eire. Carmel is my birth mother I was born 1956 she lived at Carrisbrook House mother and baby home briefly before I was adopted. Carmel had relatives living in UK John Healy ( 60 Stockwell Park Road SW9 London and Vivien Healy (partial address 29 Upper Di ? Street Wiggin ) and Bernadette Healy.

My birth father is Thomas Callan however the sir name spelling could be different . Thomas was I think 22 when I was born and was working on the Railway.

I think Carmel and Thomas came from the same town in Eire, I would be very grateful for any information.

I'm new at this and really out of my depth

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Jan 2014 16:43

Hi Geraldine.

I can't help with anything Irish, but have a couple of questions - if you can answer them it might help other members.

Firstly, do you mind if I ask when your mother died, and how you know this happened? I am wondering who registered her death, and whether this might offer up some clues.

Also, where did you get the details of the relatives from? I am not sure whether there is such a place as Wiggin, maybe it's hard to read from what you say, but in any case do you know whereabouts this is in the UK, however roughly?

I am assuming you mean the mother and baby home in London.

Jan

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Jan 2014 18:07

from a quick google, I think the address was probably

29 Upper Dicconson Street, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 2AG

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Jan 2014 18:13

Geraldine, you have Carmel in your tree, born 1933. Do you know the other member who has a Carmel Healy born 1933 Ireland in their tree?

it can always be a different Carmel of course, but that member looks like a possibly close family member of their Carmel in any case

Put your mouse over the 'Search' at the top of the page and click 'Search all trees', then put Carmel's name into the search boxes

to contact another member, click on the 'Find out more' button beside their name to send a message ... and of course what to say will be somewhat delicate ...

If the member has kept an active email address in their account they will get a notice of your message.

patchem

patchem Report 20 Jan 2014 18:54

Were John, Vivien and Bernadette living in the UK in 1956, or after then?

Thank-you

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Jan 2014 19:12

edit - info deleted because the birth I suggested was in the wrong place, see below

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Jan 2014 19:15

Or ... given the three names you put in your subject line ... this could possibly be Carmel's birth

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F177-CMN

and that birth was in County Monaghan

only the certificate would give you the full names to know whether they match your Carmel.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Jan 2014 19:19

There is a Thomas Callan birth in the same location in County Monaghan that fits your information perfectly for his age in 1956

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F178-JMJ

So I think the second link I gave

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F177-CMN

is very probably your Carmel.

edit - very stupid of me - you said in your first post Co Monaghan

so that looks like very very probably your parents

as you have said Carmel is deceased

Name: Mary B C Healy
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: Oct - Dec 1933
Event Place: Castleblayney, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1933
Registration District: Castleblayney

which covers Carrickmacross I believe

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Jan 2014 19:23

Here is a link showing the 5 births for the surname Healy in the same location

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3Ahealy%20%2Bbirth_place%3A%22Castleblayney%20ireland%22

2 of them could well be Carmel's sisters

(but the birth in 1956 had a father Healy)

this link shows all 14 Healy events (births, marriages, deaths) in that location

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results#count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3Ahealy%20%2Bany_place%3A%22castleblayney%20ireland%22

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Jan 2014 19:28

how to apply for Irish birth certificates

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/registrar_birth_marr_death.html

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/bdm/Certificates/

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 20 Jan 2014 22:42

Hello thanks for the support, I had no idea how to view Irish records so thank you very much for the links. It was so exciting to see Carmel and Thomas Callen in print with place of birth, I'll be google mapping for days.
Today I spoke to the hospital where I was born, and Carmel died, to try and locate the cemetery. I've emailed BerevementServiceslambeth.gov.uk for the application form,although the area on the site states Southwark the information could be in either Lambeth or Camberwell.
I did request a look at a family tree belonging to sir name allan but got no reply however I don't know how old or long the Family Tree remains active, as my adoption wasn't a success I went into a downward spiral, but now feel more confident.
I only know that Carmel died 1994 her date of birth 16 july 1933. In 1956 John, Vivien and Bernadette were living in the UK. I went back to the info from the adoption agency and it does appear that the area Vivien was living was lancs, now that the address has been confirmed it makes sense from pretty indecipherable writing!

I'm going to post this now-will you all get the message I hope so. I will press the 'mark as answered button,

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Jan 2014 23:21

Assume this is Carmel, though birth date slightly different:

Name: Carmel Mary B Healy
Birth: 14 Jul 1933
Death: Apr 1994 - Southwark, London, England

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Jan 2014 23:22

Do not press 'mark as answered'!! This indicates your query is solved.
Jan

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Jan 2014 23:37

You're very welcome Geraldine.

The person I was looking at who has Carmel 1933 Ireland in their tree has the same family surname, so have another look.

you might want to put her in your tree (as a separate person, it doesn't matter) also as Mary, in case someone searches for her by her registered name at birth

you can tell whether someone has read your message by looking in your 'sent messages' folder, if it is unread it will have an envelope beside it

You do have Carmel's death certificate, but presumably there was no family member present at her death to sign the certificate?

if you are looking for present-day family of the two, I would get their birth certificates to find their parents' names and that would allow you to do more searching.

and as Jan says Don't mark as answered!! if you have more questions or want any more help, you should ask in this same thread and you won't be able to 'unmark' it. :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 24 Jan 2014 15:27

Geraldine has PMed me - hi Geraldine :-) - to ask about putting a family tree at this site with Carmel in it.

I really don't know anything about putting a family tree here, I don't have one here or anywhere on line or anywhere at all really.

Can anyone offer some tips? I might think the best thing to do is just go to the tree place and start out with yourself - your birth name that is - and Carmel as your mother and Thomas as your father (you make him Carmel's husband, it makes no difference at all whether facts like that are actually true).

Because Carmel's first given name at birth seems to have been Mary, I would just give Thomas an extra wife with Mary as the first name. That way she is in your tree by both names in case somebody searches by either one.

You don't know Carmel's parents' names so you can just add a 'mother' and 'father' Healy. Then you could add other children for them, the names of the other Healy births around the same time from the family search link above. Again, it doesn't matter whether it's all true or not, you just want as many people as possible who might search for related names to find you.

And one tip, you said you wrote and asked to look at somebody's tree. That is not the best way to go about it, not many people will just say sure, look at my family tree, to a complete stranger. The best thing is to say what name you are interested in and that you think she is a family member and maybe something like did your Carmel move to England? and could we exchange some information, something like that.

anybody else who can help better please do!

Joe

Joe Report 4 Jul 2015 11:19

Hello Geraldine
I saw your post to this site when I was checking out a recent death notice for my Granny, Mary Healy.
I think I can help. My name is Joe Healy. I am the son of John Healy and nephew of your birth mother, Carmel Healy.
Carmel was one of 9 children (She was the eldest) from my namesake, John Joseph Healy (who died young (aged 42) and Mary Healy (Who died last week at the age of 99).
Mary and Joe Healy lived in the parish of Donaghmoyne, which is just outside Carrickmacross. The other children were (in order), John (my dad – who now lives back in Ireland, but lived in England for about 25 years), Gavin (not Vivien) who still lives in Wigan, Bernadette who lives in Essex, Patricia who lives in Ireland, Annie who lives in Ireland, Betty (lived in Newry, N. Ireland but passed away last year), Phyllis who lives in Ireland and Josie (Josephine) who lives in Ireland.
Your information on Carmel is correct. She passed away in the early nineties. Most of the family were present at the funeral, including myself. I’m not sure who would have signed the death certificate, but I would have thought it was Bernie (Bernadette), who was very close to Carmel.
Carmel lived in England from the mid 50’s. Her last job was a senior manager in a care home in Deptford (SE London). She died in St Thomas’s Hospital.
I am advised that the information you have on your father is correct although I did not know him, so I can’t help any further on that side of your family tree. I am advised that he has died but that some of his immediate family still live in Donaghmoyne.
Carmel is buried at the City of London Crematorium, Aldersbrook Rd, Romford. This is a very large cemetery – so you will need to find out the exact location if you intended to visit (I’m not sure if you live in UK or elsewhere in the world). The building at the entrance has the information on every burial site in the cemetery. It’s at least a 15 minute walk to get to her grave.
If you would like any other information, I’m happy to share what I know.
Regards

Joe

Pam

Pam Report 4 Jul 2015 15:38

Joe,

Click on Geraldine's name on the left and send her a pm (personal message) as she may no be watching this site. If she still has the e-mail address she registered on here with she will get your message.

Pam

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Jul 2015 19:33

Joe that's lovely of you to come and offer Geraldine all this information.

I would guess that what she would dearly love to do is meet you and your family so fingers crossed she gets your message!

How very sad that Carmel's mother Mary died only last month.

edit - should have mentioned I was PMing Geraldine too

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 4 Jul 2015 19:37

I've sent a pm to Geraldine in the hope that she still has the same email address.

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 6 Jul 2015 17:09

Dear Pam and JoonieCloonie.
I'd lost hope of getting a response after all this time. I am so very happy to hear from Joe. I've pm'd Joe today after updating my subscription. Again thank you for the nudge. X