Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Eric Fowler

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole

Carole Report 27 Mar 2014 05:57

Re Eric Fowler, Brighton. I am looking for children (born around 40's, 50's or 60's) of Eric Fowler, Brighton. He worked as a deliveries driver for Sunblest.

patchem

patchem Report 27 Mar 2014 06:40

Have you got an approximate year of birth for him (and place?), any idea of wife and how many children and any names?

In addition, could you state how you are related to him?

Thank-you

Added:
There is an Eric L Fowler who married in Brighton in 1941.
But no obvious children births.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Mar 2014 09:00

Have you done any research yourself?

Look for his death record...get a copy of the cert.

The informant's details may prove helpful

The 1941 marriage could have been to a widow..........

Carole

Carole Report 27 Mar 2014 10:50

I have traced an Eric Fowler born 1914 in Brighton (which tallies up with my info). My elder sisters informed me when I was 19, that my mother (Tessie Skinner RIP) had a relationship with him in the early 60's and that I was their child. I am the youngest of 5 but I do not share the same father as my older sibblings. They are reluctant to keep in touch with me due to the sensitive nature of our relatedness. The limited information I was given by them was that he had 5 children and that maybe he moved to Lewisham. I would love to meet his children before time runs out. The details on my birth certificate under father's name remains blank but I carry my mother's married name to her husband who died in the early 60's.
Kind regards
Carole

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Mar 2014 12:03

How do you know he was born and lived in Brighton?

No record of a birth for that name in Brighton in 1914 on freebmd's but there is one in Dec quarter of 1919,

Being a deliveries driver for Sunblest he could have come from any location within the daily driving distance of Brighton? assuming that's where your mother lived and where you where born.

Their are several possible births and marriages for an Eric Fowler with children in the south and south east area and more importantly within daily driving distance of Brighton

Roy

Carole

Carole Report 27 Mar 2014 12:18

Your time and support is much appreciated, thank you.
There are 2 Eric Fowlers that I have been tracking. One was born in Lewisham in 1914 (but could have moved to Brighton where the Sunblest bakery factory used to be. The other Eric was born in Brighton in 1919 so I am keen to research both. As previously mentioned, my sibblings told me (in 1983) that he lived in Lewisham, therefore if it was the Eric born in Lewisham in 1914, he may have moved back there again.

Kind regards
Carole

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Mar 2014 12:41

Not seeing a marriage for the one born 1914 in Lewisham but there is a birth in 1931 for a Eric G F in Lewisham and a marriage in 1953 for him with possible children to the marriage,

Roy

patchem

patchem Report 27 Mar 2014 18:18

Sorry to keep on asking questions, but did your siblings say whether the 5 children are significantly older than you, or just a year or so, so that their births would finish several years before 1964, or not?

Thanks

Carole

Carole Report 27 Mar 2014 19:39

I don't mind answering questions at all. At a guess, the sibblings would be about 15 - 20 years older than me. I'm sure one of my older sisters Hazel, said that they knew of them and I think even met them, which would have been back in the 60's when they were young teens. I was born in 64.
I would give my right arm to meet them but I have so little to go on.
Kind regards

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Mar 2014 21:34

edited 23 April in response to the post from 'Unknown' telling us that the 1919 Eric is definitely not the person Carole hopes to find - to remove personal info about that Eric

I would get the 1914 birth certificate. The image on line is problematic -- it could say Eric EL or Eric BL Fowler, but I would guess B. The mother's surname though ... Vittiee ... makes no sense at all. Getting the birth cert would be the only way to try to decipher that name. (I tried searching for Fowler marrying any Vi* for instance, or any Fowler birth with mother Vi*, but nothing close comes up)

The more you know about someone, the more likely you could find family who would have info, e.g. the child of a brother or sister of the person. That would be the only way to rule that Eric in or out. There is no apparent match for a marriage or death for an Eric EL or BL Fowler with that dob.

this Eric [info deleted]

The child born in 1931 called Eric had a sibling born in 1925 so his father would not have been born 1914-1919. Also the father's name was James.

I would really pursue the 1914 birth to see what the certificate might tell you that you could investigate further.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Carole

Carole Report 27 Mar 2014 22:06

Thank you so much, this is so helpful. I will take a close look at everything tomorrow.
Kind regards, Carole

patchem

patchem Report 27 Mar 2014 22:18

There are a several Eric Fowlers living in Lewisham in the 1950's.

They include Eric, Eric J, Eric R, Eric G, Eric G F.

The 5 siblings were born, say, 1942 - 1952?
And were not necessarily born in Lewisham or Brighton?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Mar 2014 22:53

You're welcome, google just found a bit more info about the 1919 Leonard

23 April - info deleted because this is not the person sought

patchem

patchem Report 27 Mar 2014 23:16

Are T & J Ellery just the stone masons, so unrelated?

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=B33904

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Mar 2014 00:08

more info

edited 23 April to delete the info about the incorrect Eric

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Mar 2014 15:15

Fairthorn I made myself crazy trying to find that result at Ancestry and Mundia ... it is in a _private_ family tree so it has to be searched for in that database at Ancestry ... the dob matches the death record

edited 23 April to remove all info about the wrong Eric and famiy

Carole

Carole Report 30 Mar 2014 16:22

Just to let you all know, I'm not ignoring your comments, I am away for a couple of days but will resume this thread next week.
Thank you

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Apr 2014 21:10

To Carole, Eric Leonard Fowler is not your father, he fathered no children. He did NOT work at the Sunblest Bakery. I am his adopted daughter. My daughter was very upset that you contacted her. You caused great distress in putting gravestone details on social media, it is most disrespectful.. In future to spare others feelings could you not private message contacts, especially as you seem to get so many facts wrong.You need to look elsewhere and we wish to have no further correspondence with you.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 23 Apr 2014 23:50

I am removing details I posted that refer to the wrong Eric ... I try to remember to do that when a trail proves to be the wrong one but tend to rely on the person who started the thread to come back with the results of the certificates they order and such ... and Carole has not done here.

I was the one who added the gravestone details -- which are published on the Internet at the link I gave when I added them here (which I have now deleted), although I agree that the context in which such information appears could be more problematic than the mere fact of the information being published on line, and I apologise as that does seem to be the case.

To Unknown, as an adopted child, you may understand that people who have never known one or both of their parents may feel a strong need to find them or their family ... I don't know how Carole framed her approach (and indeed one should be extremely sensitive in doing that) but I expect your daughter could understand that a person in that position has to ask or will never know ...

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Apr 2014 08:36

A perfect example of why giving speculative info in cases such as this is potentially harmful

One can never know how such info will be used............and how much distress may be caused