Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing My Cousin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Mar 2014 16:09

I am trying to trace my second cousin Kathleen Sprawson. She is first cousin of my mother and the daughter of my great aunt Phyllis. I know her married name is Snowdon. My aunt in Ireland has a photograph of Kathleen on her wedding day wearing a red dress. From what I can remember she is an only child and was known to be living in the Bedford/Northants area.

I hope to hear from somebody who may know her.

Regards.

Jackie

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 29 Mar 2014 16:50

Does Kathleen have a middle name and might the marriage have taken place in 1973??

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Mar 2014 17:00

I would think that is the correct marriage although the birth of Kathleen does not give a middle name.

Kath. x

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 29 Mar 2014 17:02

Yes i noticed that too Kath.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Mar 2014 17:05

Can't see anyone of that name in the electoral registers for Bedford/Northamts areas - although may have opted out of the list that can be published.

Kath. x

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 29 Mar 2014 17:19

I am not seeing any Snowden/Sprawson births in England or Wales.

patchem

patchem Report 29 Mar 2014 17:30

Is your great aunt Phyllis still alive, or do you know where and when she died?

Thanks

Added:
Do you know if this is Eric's death?

Eric Sprawson
Birth Date: 2 May 1919
Date of Registration: Aug 1995
Age at Death: 76
Registration district: Oldham
Inferred County: Lancashire
Register Number: OC31B
District and Subdistrict: 0071C
Entry Number: 208

Added:
There are (at least) 2 Eric Sprawsons, one is probably Eric E.
They both appear to marry someone called Phyllis.
Just in case the ER's are confusing.

patchem

patchem Report 29 Mar 2014 17:50

Is her husband's surname Snowdon or Snowden?

patchem

patchem Report 29 Mar 2014 17:52

Back in the Lancashire area on ER?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Mar 2014 18:14

Patchem and Prickly Holly - with regards to your responses, the name Eric Sprawson does ring a bell. My Great Aunt Phyllis did live in the Manchester area and , sadly, she passed away about 1981/1982 within weeks of her sister Margaret (Peg). I was always under the impression that Kathleen (I don't know her middle name or if she had one) had left the area when she got married and moved somewhere closer to London. I could be wrong. From the wedding photo I saw, it did look like a 1970's wedding so 1973 could be around the right time. I must check those dates with my other cousins Sally and Ida who are also first cousins to Kathleen. I am not sure either whether the spelling of her married surname is Snowdon or Snowden.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Mar 2014 18:14

Patchem and Prickly Holly - with regards to your responses, the name Eric Sprawson does ring a bell. My Great Aunt Phyllis did live in the Manchester area and , sadly, she passed away about 1981/1982 within weeks of her sister Margaret (Peg). I was always under the impression that Kathleen (I don't know her middle name or if she had one) had left the area when she got married and moved somewhere closer to London. I could be wrong. From the wedding photo I saw, it did look like a 1970's wedding so 1973 could be around the right time. I must check those dates with my other cousins Sally and Ida who are also first cousins to Kathleen. I am not sure either whether the spelling of her married surname is Snowdon or Snowden.

patchem

patchem Report 29 Mar 2014 21:13

I cannot see a death for Phyllis Sprawson - what year was she born and where?

Added:
Is this her?
Philomena Sprawson
Birth Date: 3 Nov 1923
Date of Registration: Jul 1986
Age at Death: 62
Registration district: Oldham
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 39
Page: 244

Death certificates give the name of the informant, that can be a relative.

If Kathleen was the informant for either parent, it could give indication of her married name.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 29 Mar 2014 21:34

Patchem, Thank you so much. You have been a great help. Yes it is her. My Great Aunt Phyllis was christened Philomena and she was born in Littleton in Tipperary. She sadly did pass away around July 1986, a few weeks before my other Great Aunt Margaret (Peg) Sutton. I got the years mixed up. I actually thought it was in the early 1980's. She did live in and around the Manchester area near Great Aunt Peg and Kathleen was the only child.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards.

Jackie

patchem

patchem Report 29 Mar 2014 22:59

Kathleen's marriage in 1973 ( as Kathleen M) is to Snowden in Oldham. (If it is the correct marriage)

There is a Kathleen M Snowden showing on the ER in Oldham of the correct age:

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/snowden/kathleen/