Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for David Benham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

stacey

stacey Report 17 Jul 2014 22:56

I'm looking for my dad and I only joined the genes website today so I'm very new to this, the only information I have is his name and that when I was born in 1973 I believe he lived in the Southampton area and I think he would now be about 62, my mum was in contact with him until I was about 1 but I know nothing more than that. I also believe he may have married . My name is Stacey knight, I would be very grateful for any info good or bad . Thanks :-) P.s I know his parents knew of me but don't know if his family do

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 18 Jul 2014 01:05

Hi Stacey,

Not seeing a birth for a David Benham in Southampton. Do you the names of his parents?

Rose

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Jul 2014 05:39

If your mum was in contact with him for a time does she know any names of his family .ie siblings ,parents names etc

There are quite a few David Benham births listed

patchem

patchem Report 18 Jul 2014 06:57

Was he definitely unmarried when you were born?

There is a marriage for a David Benham in Southampton in 1968, but he was probably born in 1942, not in the Southampton area.

There are then possible marriages in 1973 or 1977 in the Hampshire and New Forest areas.

There is a marriage in 1985 Southampton, and another in 1997, plus furthers ones in the wider area of Hampshire.

Any further scraps of information about him or his wider family would be useful.

stacey

stacey Report 18 Jul 2014 15:18

Thank you very much for your replys , I'm going to ask my mum for any more info tonight so I will let you know , thanks gain :)

stacey

stacey Report 22 Jul 2014 12:50

im still trying to find out more info on my dad, could anyone please advise me on the etiquette of contacting somone if you believe the person you are looking for features on their family tree? thanks stacey

patchem

patchem Report 22 Jul 2014 21:27

You phrase the message so that it is very neutral and is asking about mutual ancestors in common, and that you are possibly related to Mr X (or Y or Z) and wonder if it is the same Mr X, son of Y and Z, who is in their tree.

In other words, you do not jump straight in.
Also, you do not just ask to see their tree with no explanation.
You write a very non-committal communication.

You ask for their help, as most people like to be put in a position of having extra knowledge, and see where that leads you.

stacey

stacey Report 4 Aug 2014 13:43

hi, i have been trying to find out any more info but am struggling apart from i believe he may have moved to Brighton or hove at some point, can anyone advise the best course of action with limited info? thanks very much Stacey :-\

patchem

patchem Report 4 Aug 2014 18:16

Did you Mother have any more information about him or his parents, or an address in Southampton for him/them?