Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stephen Owers Sutherland

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynne

Lynne Report 2 Aug 2014 12:21

Stephen was born in January 1948 to Vera Owers Sutherland, in Torquay. He was one of twins, the other twin being adopted by a local family in Torquay. Stephen was adopted later from the Knightsbridge Adoption Agency in London.

We have been looking for Stephen for some time now. Does anybody have any information?
Thank you
Lynne

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 2 Aug 2014 13:02

Just to point out that his birth registration does not show a middle name of "Owers".

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Aug 2014 13:58

have you put your name on the National Adoption Contact register .

AS you know the adoption agency have you asked for your details to be put in his files .

This is presuming you are family to him

Lynne

Lynne Report 2 Aug 2014 17:59

Yes Shirley we are family. Unfortunately the Knightsbridge Adoption Agency closed down in the 1960's I think.
We've done almost everything we can do I think without success.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Aug 2014 19:28

Someone on here has Vera in their tree.

Do you know them?

Gwyn

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 2 Aug 2014 22:34

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Aug 2014 01:35

Lynne, since the surname for both births is spelled wrong in the index at Ancestry, you could make a correction and leave an email address where you can be reached saying that you are family and would like to get in touch

(use a permanent anonymous address that you can get on line like at gmail)

you can also find the births at http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

and leave a 'postem' there with an email address as well

that way if Stephen or any of his present family does any searching for their records, they will find the message from you and be able to get in touch

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Aug 2014 17:37

hi Lynne, thanks for your message letting me know you have taken those suggestions - it's always okay (and best) to reply in the thread so everybody following knows you have been following too and have followed up :-)

ps good grief, I see that the error at Ancestry was actually when the surname was typed just once for all the births under it in that quarter .. 3 dozen of them.

(if you aren't a member of Ancestry, someone else could make the correction there for you)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Aug 2014 15:59

Lynne says by PM

Thanks. I am a member of Ancestry and can put in a correction. Have sent a message to the person with Vera in her tree - I await a reply.

Lynne do use the 'Add your reply' box in your thread, everybody likes to know you have found the suggestions helpful :-)

Lynne

Lynne Report 1 Dec 2014 10:25

Think I might have put this in the wrong place so have copied it to here: Just another post about Vera Owers Sutherland. She was a primary school teacher who had at least two headships that we know of. She is proving very difficult to locate anywhere. We know she was born in 1915, we then have her on the electoral roll in 1945. I was told she went to Durham University but they have no trace of her there.
We know she was teaching in Germany between 1947 and 1949 and possibly later.
She died in Scarborough in 2001 and had been Head of Bompton by Sawdon Primary School before she retired.
I would like to know where she did her teacher training and when she went to Germany to teach, what she did after leaving Germany etc. I am waiting on a couple of replies from Archives in the Durham area but as I live in Somerset I can't pop in myself.
If anybody has access to any of the above information I would be very grateful.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Dec 2014 15:34

Would doubt that info would be online

Travel to and from the continent would been by foot passenger or a possible overnight sailing and those records were not kept

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Dec 2014 15:37

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1345987

have you taken the advice given in August re the national adoption contact agency?

How could this woman have been teaching in Germany and, at the same time, giving birth to twins in Devon?

She may not have had any formal teacher training - for primary teachers, the training was often done in the school

If she was in UK in 1945, and in Germany in 1947, there isn't much of a window in which for her to have gone over there

Lynne

Lynne Report 1 Dec 2014 23:40

As far as we understand it she went to teach in Germany, we have evidence she was there, she came back to have the babies in a private nursing home a long way from her home area then went back to Germany. This information was given to the adoptive parents who adopted my ex-husband by the solicitor who handled the adoption.
For various reasons we haven't contacted the adoption agency yet.
From another source we were told that she went to Durham University and studied French and German, however they have no trace of her. Apparently teacher training was done in an associated college and I am currently trying to work through their records.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Dec 2014 01:11

Vera had twin siblings born in 1919. Have you thought about tracing their descendants?

Rose

Lynne

Lynne Report 2 Dec 2014 09:58

Yes they are Fred and Edna but I think I'm right in saying that they emigrated possibly to Canada.
I did have a contact for the family up to 2006 who has now 'disappeared', who talked about an Uncle Bruce who 'travelled around'.
They are a difficult family to track down.
Thanks.

Lynne

Lynne Report 2 Dec 2014 09:58

Yes they are Fred and Edna but I think I'm right in saying that they emigrated possibly to Canada.
I did have a contact for the family up to 2006 who has now 'disappeared', who talked about an Uncle Bruce who 'travelled around'.
They are a difficult family to track down.
Thanks.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 2 Dec 2014 10:17

I made no mention of the adoption AGENCY

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Dec 2014 10:37

Fred looks to have died in Bournemouth in 1995.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Dec 2014 10:44

Edna went to the US:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=53119095

Rose

Mavis

Mavis Report 2 Dec 2014 10:47

Think this is where Vera may have got her exams for teaching

from the Newspaper archives

Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette --

Bede Colligate Girls school 20th April 1934 Vera O Sutherland (C.F.Pam.)
also same paper other dates where mentioned
28th Feb 1935 --- 16th April 1938 --- 23rd Dec 1941

I am not clever enough to copy and paste results from the paper but some one
else may be able to for you.

Bede school is still going -- enter it into Google you may be able to find old records
for it.

Mavis