Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for aunt 'Sandra' Belfast

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 16 Oct 2014 19:08

UPDATED/EDITED

I am looking for a `Sandra` who was born between 1949-52 in either England or Belfast/Northern Ireland. I'm pretty sure it was late 1950/January 1951 in Lanark Street, Belfast.

She was born to a B A Draper/Davis/Scanlon (unsure of what maiden name would have been put down, as she went between 3 on her other children`s birth certificates). Unsure of child's surname due to illegitimacy. We knew of the child being called Sandra, though she may have had a different first name.

Sandra was unofficially adopted by another family and may have changed name and even country. I do not want to go into the circumstances of this adoption as it is sensitive and may cause upset. When she was born she had 2 older brothers.

I am updating this post in case someone happens to be looking for our family. There isn't much information to go on, so I've tried to add any relevant names etc to keep the post up to date.

Regards,

K

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 16 Oct 2014 19:23

There is yet another 'privacy' issue in your latest post

You are not allowed to post your e-mail details on these boards

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 16 Oct 2014 19:29

post edited - thanks.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Oct 2014 19:44

So who did Bertha marry ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Oct 2014 19:48

Marriages Sep 1938
Draper Bertha A Davis

So wouldn't her children be reg as Davis mmn draper ?

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 16 Oct 2014 20:20

Thanks for replying Shirley..

Bertha was married 3 times - Davis in 1938, Scanlon in 1942 and Young in 1954. Bertha's first two children have 'Davis' as her maiden name on their birth certificates.. still unsure of the reason for this.

Sandra was adopted unofficially when she was about two and a half years old and I cannot find any trace of her. It is hard because I have very little information.

The 'Sandra Reid' in Market Harborough sounded viable, as Bertha's closest sister lived there.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Oct 2014 22:09

well she may have lived with a Mr Reid but cant see how you would know if this is the right Sandra other than buying the cert

Kay????

Kay???? Report 16 Oct 2014 22:34

A marriage close by in Kettering between Reid and Davis could possibly cancel that route out.?

Wouldnt it be a fair assumption to assume the birth took place in Ireland where Bertha was living,,,,,,,as Scanlon/

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 17 Oct 2014 07:03

Thanks so much.

Bertha's marriage was over to Scanlon, as he married again in 1944. I am not sure what contact they were having though as they had two sons.

I will check that marriage out!! Thank you!

Bertha returned to Belfast in 1949 for sure. But before that I think I have traced her to Yorkshire. And, she had family in London and Leicester/M.Harborough also. She is a hard woman to follow! Though she was struggling between marriages with children and didn't really find a permanent home until the 1950's. She had a bit of a hard early life it seems.

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 17 Oct 2014 08:14

Kay???? I looked up that marriage by putting in Sandra D Reid marrying a Davis I couldn't find anything?? I am new to this still and probably being a dim wit :(

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Oct 2014 12:27

The marriage isnt for Sandra D Reid,,,,,,,,its between Reid and Davis proir to the birth in 1947,,,,,,so maybe the 1947 birth could a child to that marriage.?

If there was a child--Sandra,then maybe one day she will want to investigate her roots and a post on here,,,,,,,,,she wont appear unless she wishes to be found.

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 17 Oct 2014 14:41

I hope she does Kay. That's why I have tried to leave a trail for her to follow. I'd love to find her.

I will look at that marriage too! Thank you. Maybe it will help me rule her out.

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 21 Dec 2014 08:51

Update on this...

I managed to get medical records retrieved from deep storage (so they were not destroyed even after all these years).

They indicate that 'Sandra's' birth was either December 1950 or very early 1951. And, she was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Bertha was recorded as Bertha Annie Davis at the time.

My first positive trace..... Still no luck with a BC though!

The search continues.... :)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Dec 2014 13:12

If the child was born in Belfast, her BC 'ought' to be registered with GRONI

According to this link, you can't search on line for births within the last 100 years, but can in person at the public research rooms in Belfast.

http://goo.gl/vfILZ9

Its possible that they will undertake a search on your behalf....for a fee + the cost of any certificate. Contact details are on the linked page

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 21 Dec 2014 13:25

Thank you for that. I got in touch yesterday with someone who is going to search for me tomorrow. I had went down to the office before and found the systems very hardto use. Thought it better to leave it with a professional this time!

I have a feeling it still won't be straightforward though as I thought I covered these dates last time I was down. :/

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Dec 2014 13:27

Some times you can't see for looking, especially if you're tired ;-)

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 21 Dec 2014 13:33

You know what - I hope so! I started out thinking that I'd at least be able to find a BC. How naive was I haha x

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 4 Jan 2015 12:14

just bumping this up :)

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 4 Jan 2015 12:17

As I moved this up in the threads I realise that I need to amend some information.

I had a doctor retrieve medical records. By looking through these I have determined that the child I am looking for would have been born in either December 1950 or early 1951. she was born in Belfast. I have searched the GRONI, and still found nothing.

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 5 Jan 2016 21:02

Edited/bumping up x