Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian Cousins

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

suan

suan Report 8 Sep 2015 17:41

If any Canadian/US members can help - I am looking for descendants of James (Jim) Ellis (1898-1974 born in Birmingham) and his wife Jessie Ellis (nee Taylor) (1900-1977 born in Devon). Contact has been lost since Jim's death when they were living in Ontario, Canada. There were two children (possibly three - I only have an old photo to go on) - Jim (Jimmy) and Mary and possibly another son. Jimmy served three tours in Vietnam and in 1958 Jim, Jessie and Jimmy together with (I assume) Jimmy's wife and 3 children were in Dayton, Ohio. I have a photo of Mary's wedding breakfast but no other info. If anyone knows of the family I would be delighted to hear from you and I WILL answer any emails. Many thanks.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Sep 2015 19:51

Plenty of lookers, but no posters. Do you have additional information?

Any idea when the boys were born? Do you know if the whole family moved from Ohio to Canada, or was the Ohio connection just a holiday/for the Wedding?

suan

suan Report 8 Sep 2015 20:37

Hi De, that is about everything that I have. From the photo I have both JIM AND Mary were adults in 1958. All that I can remember is my mother writing to them in Windsor, Ontario and for the life of me I cannot remember any more of the address. Hence I am trying to work backwards and hope someone out there may have a connection.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Sep 2015 21:51

one thing to note from their marriage record is that they had no middle names, which can sometimes help for finding records (like obituaries) for people with otherwise fairly common names ...

there would be no harm in contacting the J Ellis-s in the Canadian telephone book in Windsor in case 'Jimmy' is still there

http://www.canada411.ca/search/?stype=si&what=james+ellis&where=Windsor%2C+ON

if Jimmy was in the US military in Vietnam it is very likely the family had relocated to the US though as it would have been very unusual for a Canadian to have done that

suan

suan Report 8 Sep 2015 22:04

Thanks Joonie, I will check out your suggestions. Sue

malyon

malyon Report 8 Sep 2015 22:08

is this james and jessies marriage

James Ellis
mentioned in the record of Taylor and James Ellis
Name James Ellis
Event Type Marriage Registration
Registration Quarter Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year 1923
Registration District Birmingham
County Warwickshire
Event Place Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Spouse Name (available after 1911) Taylor
Volume 6D
Page 728
Line Number 3

James Ellis probably married one of the following people
Name Jessie Taylor

suan

suan Report 8 Sep 2015 22:58

Hi Malyon, yes this is the information that I also have. Sorry for the time lag - I have been picking up on the tablet which seems to be slower than the PC.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Sep 2015 20:03

?????????

Arthur Ellis
Find A Grave Index

death:

burial:

Windsor, Essex County, Ontario, Canada

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Sep 2015 20:07

??????????

Age 78
Given Name Mary
Middle Name M
Surname Ellis
Birth Date 25 May 1928
State Ohio
Last Place of Residence Dayton, Montgomery, Ohio
Previous Residence Postal Code 45404
Event Date 12 Aug 2006

suan

suan Report 10 Sep 2015 20:45

Many thanks AnnCardiff. I shall check out all your research and see how it fits in. Phenomenal job. Sue

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 10 Sep 2015 21:17

all from the free website - familysearch.org

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Sep 2015 21:21

Ann you are posting personal informatoin about people showing their home address within the last 6 years in some cases.

I don't want my home address posted here ... I doubt any of us does ... and this is actually against the rules, given how recent the info is

can these records not be sent by PM ... or just post the link to the familysearch page where they came from ...

these names are so common that there is no reason even to think that any of these are related or relevant (and in some cases you have just duplicated, the last two are the same)

e.g. there are 114 James Ellis graves in Ohio recorded at findagrave
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi
and those are only the ones that have been submitted there

who is Arthur Ellis in Windsor?
Mary Ellis born 1928 living in Ohio ... but we know that daughter Mary in this thread got married because the family photo is of her wedding breakfast ...

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Sep 2015 21:52

on the 1965 Canadian voters' list (at Ancestry)

James Ellis, truckdriver
Mrs Mary Ellis
on Janette Avenue in Windsor Ontario

just wondering whether, although you don't remember an address, you might recognise it if you saw it ...

hm, in 1957 the same address has James, working at Hackney Cartage, and "Miss Mary", checker.

have you found their emigration passenger record ever? they seem to have emigrated before the children were born ... it could say where they were destined in Ontario

this one would seem to match

EDIT - scratching the one I'd posted and adding the correct one from Suan's info below

First name(s) JAMES
Last name ELLIS
Gender Male
Age 26
Birth year 1898
> Occupation ENGINEER
Departure year 1924
Departure day 99
Departure month 4
Departure port LIVERPOOL
Destination port QUEBEC
Destination QUEBEC
Country CANADA
Destination country CANADA
Ship name MONTROYAL

address in England is in Birmingham

but Mary is not in the passenger list which was why I'd disregarded that one

suan

suan Report 10 Sep 2015 23:02

Hi JoonieCloonie

I have the details of their passenger ticket which states on Form 30A arrived in Quebec 1924 on the Montroyal. I don't recognise the address in Windsor. Again I shall have a good look through all the info you have for me and see if and how it fits.

Many thanks Sue

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Sep 2015 00:20

I have no clue how Pinterest works but there is a photo on this page that seems to be of a James Ellis with the caption

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/205969382933459528/

'James Ellis , Feb 24 1968 Camp Evans Vietnam, lost 5 friends last nite in rocket attack. Via James Ellis'

and two others

(you want a strong stomach to view some of the photos from the Vietnam war, and some of the ugly acts they depict and and callous captions)

if you click on that photo it also shows more Vietnam 1967 1968 'via James Ellis', then click on them, etc.

but I just have no idea how to identify/contact people posting these things

okay this seems to be that James Ellis
http://www.alpha2-7cav.com/Ellis-3.html
and since he was there 1967-68 I don't think that's 'three tours' ... I think a tour was a year

but he might well be interested in helping find info about another James Ellis who was in the military in Vietnam, given his militaristic hyperpatriotism ...

suan

suan Report 11 Sep 2015 07:49

Thanks again JoonieCloonie

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Sep 2015 11:45

suan - I presume you've taken details of what I've posted so I'll delete

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Sep 2015 17:02

oops suan, thanks for your PM -- I evidently went off track and started thinking Jessie was Mary at some point! back to the drawing board with me ...

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Sep 2015 18:08

unfortunately in early voters' lists in Canada, married women are recorded only as "Mrs Joe Blow"

1935 to 1949 there are a Mr and Mrs James Ellis on Hall Ave in Windsor, him an inspector (a possibility for an engineer), but in one of those years he is recorded as 'James A Ellis' so that rules them out

in the 1950s and 60s there is a Mrs Jessie Ellis in Windsor but her husband is Donald

do you have any idea what decade it was when your mother was writing to them in Windsor? or the decade when Jim died?

I think I'm understanding that the photo is of the wedding breakfast for their daughter Mary, who married in Ohio ... ?

so Jimmy had 3 children by 1958 which would make him born by not much after 1930 likely

but went on to be in Vietnam with the US military for 3 years in the late 1960s (unless he was there pre-Vietnam war as an 'advisor', as the US military called its troops there before the war)

the Arthur Ellis buried in Windsor in 1949 was a veteran, which would mean of either WWI or WWII

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=34105425

because he is buried in the vetarans section (I believe the markers would be standardised there), there is no other info on his gravestone

so he is not likely to be a son of James and Jessie

according to familysearch records, Ontario deaths (other than in WWII) are only accessible up to 1937 at present

in the 1950s and 60s in Essex East there is a Mrs Jessie Ellis with husband James, a Ford employee (auto plant, many people on the lists are shown as auto plant employees) on Pillette Road

in 1974 Mrs Jessie Ellis, retired, is there alone ... but in 1968, James is retired and Jessie is a janitoress, perhaps not likely then

.......... it is very confusing trying to track people through those voters' lists since there are no ages or indications of relationships (except for the 'Mrs Joe Blow' era and then we don't know the name), addresses change ...

just in case any of those street names etc ring a bell

familysearch has 1950s Ohio marriages and none show for Mary or for parents James and Jessie 1957-1959

but it may be that the records aren't complete for all counties ... yes, for Montgomery County (Dayton) there are only marriages for pre-1910

suan

suan Report 11 Sep 2015 18:14

BINGO !!!!!

in the 1950s and 60s in Essex East there is a Mrs Jessie Ellis with husband James, a Ford employee (auto plant, many people on the lists are shown as auto plant employees) on Pillette Road

THIS IS THEM AND I AM STILL READING