Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Terrence John Charlton - London

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Simon

Simon Report 29 Oct 2015 16:58

Hi, looking to trace Terrence John Charlton who had a step father called Albert (Bert) Bruce. Albert was a retired security guard/dog handler from Peterhead but died in 1994 in London. Looking to contact Terrence.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Oct 2015 17:03

There's no death under that name in 1994. Closest is this in 1992:

Name: Terence John Charlton
Event Type: Death Registration
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Year: 1992
Registration District: Great Yarmouth
County: Norfolk
Event Place: Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England
Birth Date (available after June quarter 1969): 16 Mar 1940
Birth Year (Estimated):
Volume: 10
Page: 1102
Line Number:

Rose

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Oct 2015 17:28

Errr - was it Albert Bruce who died in 1994?

If the record for Terence is correct, hopefully it isn't a shock or upsetting.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Oct 2015 17:34

2 possible records for Albert

Name: Albert Robinson Bruce
Birth Date: 31 Oct 1921
Date of Registration: Mar 1994
Age at Death: 72
Registration district: Lambeth
Inferred County: London
Register Number: A42
District and Subdistrict: 2411A
Entry Number: 121

Not strictly London although parts of the District could be considered as such.

Name: Albert Bruce
Birth Date: 29 May 1920
Date of Registration: Aug 1994
Age at Death: 74
Registration district: Enfield
Inferred County: Middlesex
Register Number: D33D
District and Subdistrict: 2271D
Entry Number: 68

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Oct 2015 17:50

This would seem to be the birth for the Terence who died, given birth qtr

Births Jun 1940 (>99%)
Charlton Terence J Charlton Wolverhampton 6b 1527

There are several of that name born in the 40's though. one Westminster 1946 ?

Simon

Simon Report 29 Oct 2015 17:56

Rose
Thanks for your quick work and reply. Albert was my grandfather who I had never met. He was indeed born 1921 in Peterhead. It was Terrence (Alberts step son) who I was trying to trace if he is still alive I have a copy of Alberts death certificate but nothing else and no more info on Terrence.
Thanks
Simon

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Oct 2015 19:39

Lets look at it another way.

When did Albert marry Terrance's mother? If we can trace that and her maiden name, we may be able to work out when Terrance was born.

Simon

Simon Report 29 Oct 2015 22:51

I'm afraid I don't have any other info apart from his name. Sorry

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 30 Oct 2015 21:10

I think we probably know Terrance's mother's name from his birth record (if that is him)

and it seems likely that she and Albert may not actually have been married ...

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 30 Oct 2015 21:12

Simon can you tell us whether Albert was married to your grandmother, and if so, where and when?

the date and location could help to place Albert with Terrence's mother in time and space

if I'm following correctly, Albert was first married to your grandmother and then partnered with Terrance's mother

but if your grandmother was living and they were not divorced, he would not have been able to marry Terrance's mother

Simon

Simon Report 31 Oct 2015 10:07

Yes, he was married to Alice Murray on 11/01/1941. She died on 01/04/1968. I presume Albert married after she died and to a Mrs Charlton, hence why Terrence was mentioned on Albert's death certificate as step-son.

Pam

Pam Report 31 Oct 2015 10:53

Can't find death registration for Alice Bunce in 1968 nor a marriage for Alice and Albert in 1941.

Simon

Simon Report 31 Oct 2015 11:56

I did find the marriage certificate and location of the marriage was Old Parish church manse, Peterhead. Pam was your search for 'Bruce' and not 'Bunce'? Location for the death was Aberdeen.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 31 Oct 2015 14:08

Okay well Simon everyone has been looking in England since you did not indicate that these events occurred in Scotland

it is considerably harder to search in Scotland since scotlandspeople is a pay-per-view site and each search result has to be paid for in order to see the details, so it isn't something that other members can help very much with unless they spend their own money

however, a free search shows no Mr Bruce + Ms Charlton marriage

so what we don't know is, if Albert did marry Terrance's mother, whether it was in England or Scotland

so of course it's entirely possible that Terrance was born in Scotland and is still living there

are you certain of the spelling of his first name by the way?

however a free search at scotlandspeople shows no Terrance Charlton birth

a free search at scotlandspeople shows a Tere* Charlton born 1962 but I can't figure out what the full given name is ... okay, it's Teresa so that's not it

I don't imagine you have any idea at all how long Albert had been in London before he died

Simon

Simon Report 31 Oct 2015 17:24

Thanks for your help so far.
Albert left the Army in 1955 and believed to have resided in London until his death in 1994. I believe Terrence John Charlton was staying in London and does not have a Scottish connection and it is possible his mother didn't marry Albert. I know Terrence arranged Alberts funeral so possibly Terrences mother had died before 1994.
Thanks for all the help.

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 Oct 2015 19:15

I think it would really help if the spelling could be established? Terrence, Terence or Terrance?

If he arranged the funeral in 1994 of his step father , then it's not the death Rose posted at the start of the thread, so that's a start if only to eliminate the corresponding birth

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 31 Oct 2015 23:18

Sorry,

I got Terrence and Albert muddled. I thought it was Terrence who died in 1994.

If Terrence were the informant on the death certificate, then his address should be listed.

You can search that address in old electoral rolls to get his correct name and anyone else who was living with him at that time. The library local to that address should be able to help you.

Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 1 Nov 2015 01:19

there are marriages for Albert R Bruce in 1977 in Lambeth and 1955 in Ilford

but none of them seems to have any connection with the name Charlton (as the wife's surname or surname by marriage)

I think Rose's suggestion that you look up the electoral roll for the address to see what it tells you is the best idea

as we've asked a couple of times, if you do have an accurate spelling for his name from Albert's death certificate, it could help efforts to find him

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 1 Nov 2015 01:30

an Albert R and Anne Bruce were living on Angell Rd in Lambeth in 1964 (on the electoral roll on line which only goes to 1965)

the wife's given name fits with the couple who married 1977 in Lambeth

your Albert died in Lambeth ...

and lo and behold

a Terence with the mother's surname of the wife in the 1977 marriage was born in 1949

I will pm these details to Simon

Simon

Simon Report 1 Nov 2015 10:03

The details on Albert's death certificate are his address was 16 Roundell House, Kingswood estate, Bowen Drive, London SE 21

The step son was given as Terrence John Charlton. This is the only spelling of Terrence's name that I am aware of.

I do not know if Terrence stayed at the above address or not.

I'm heading to London next weekend. Am I correct in saying the local library in Lambeth, London would be a good start?