Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Information regarding " SHIPWRIGHTS "

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 30 Dec 2015 14:49

My great Grandfather John White born 1851 at Bideford. The 1871 census shows him still living in Bideford and is a ships carpenter. The 1881 census shows he has moved to Bristol with family and is ships carpenter. The 1901 census still at Clifton Bristol and shown as shipwright. I know he was a serving seaman on ships when at Bristol and I know he had a medal or badge with his association number on it(which has been lost). I would like to know if there is anyway I can get details of his shipwright membership.
I am really trying to find out what happened to him. Between 1891 and 1901 he was on a ship that was impounded somewhere in the Mediterranean and he was held prisoner for several years, during the Sudan Campaign

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Dec 2015 09:25

If he was in the RN, his records may be on the National Archive. They can be download for a small fee. You'd then have research each vessels to see if one was impounded.

As this board is searching for Living Relatives, have you looked to see if he is listed in anyone else's tree? Tree owners may have additional information. On the other hand, given his yob, they may be distantly related and he is just 'a name'.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Dec 2015 11:04

Not sure if these are of any use?
http://archiveshub.ac.uk/data/gb1008-tu/ship
http://www.shipwrights.co.uk/company/history/genealogy-research

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Dec 2015 12:33

PM From John - I've asked that any future replies be posted on the thread

Thank you for your message. John White was not in the Royal Navy.
I have looked at other peoples trees and made contact with other family members but no one has details of his maritime history. Once again thank you for taking the time to reply to my request.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 31 Dec 2015 22:36

The National Archives website suggests there aren't any Merchant Navy records in existence for that period, unless you know the name of any ship he was on

http://tinyurl.com/hzmh95d

greyghost

greyghost Report 31 Dec 2015 23:51

Is this your post from August 2014 on Ancestry John? No answers there for you.

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/topics.occupations.merchantnavy/11/mb.ashx

Merchant seaman JOHN WHITE born Bideford (Devon) 1841
The 1891 census shows him living with his family at Clifton, near Bristol Harbour. He is shown as a ships carpenter. I believe shortly after this he went to sea (probably from Bristol), ship unknown. It appears his ship became involved with the conflicts in the Sudan Campaign 1881 - 1898, and according to family hearsay his ship was impounded and he held prisoner for over 5 years in one of the Middle East Ports, Alexandria and Constantinople have been mentioned. He returned home at Clifton Bristol in time to be on the 1901 census. He lost his left arm whilst away. I have been searching for years for some info as to his ship and what happened to him without success and would be grateful for any suggestions which might help me with my investigation.

The 1851 - 1901 census would appear to show him born somewhere between 1841 and 1844 as does the above post where you also say you believe he was in the Merchant Navy.

The 1881 census shows him as a Ships Carpenter (working ashore). It's possible that he could have sailed as part of a Ships Company but as a Civilian Dockyard employee.

John

John Report 1 Jan 2016 09:33

Thank you very much for your contact. I am amazed you found my previous enquiry. As you said I have not had any luck with further investigations except that one of the family had some shipwright association badge or medal (which has been lost) with his membership number on. I have noted your comments and will keep trying. I have obtained information for other mariners in the family at Clip Crewmembers transcription but nothing for John White.
Thanks again .Happy New Year.

greyghost

greyghost Report 1 Jan 2016 13:56

Nothing is Sacred John ! Your Ancestry and GR threads come up by googling.

Just inputting John White Sudan will bring up the Ancestry thread for instance.

Best of luck.