Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Houghton - Carol & Madeline

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 26 Jan 2016 22:28

I am searching for some long lost relations.

Carol and Madeline Houghton.
Carol was born in Liverpool in 1949
Madeline was born in Liverpool in 1953

Their parents names were Leonard and Frieda (although Frieda's actual christian name was Margaret). Her maiden name was Carter.

Carol and Madeline's grandparents (on their father's side) was William Henry Houghton and Elizabeth Houghton.

Michael Houghton (b1954)

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Jan 2016 23:07

Michael have you searched trees here? ( see Search top of page).As Carol ( A J) was reg the first qtr of 1949 it is possible she was born last qtr 48, if so there are several trees which might be relevant.

Michael

Michael Report 27 Jan 2016 13:45

All 3 contacted previously, a long time ago, so far no response.

Mike Houghton

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2016 16:04

Have you found Leonard or Frieda on the ER, or possibly a registration of their deaths? One of the girls may have been the informant.

Carol doesn't seem to have married using her middle initials & there are too many ER results to go through with no idea where she might be living. None of the previews give initials.

There are 2 marriages listed for a Madeline Houghton - 1968 Oldham, 1969 Ulverston. One must be for a different Madeline who has *not* born 1953 +/- 2

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jan 2016 17:45

Without wishing to pry, as to whether there was a divorce or remarriage, can you say whether you know for sure whether Margaret Frieda would have remained under her married name, just that if she is likely to have remarried the children's surnames might have changed.

Michael

Michael Report 27 Jan 2016 20:11

Leonard (born 1905) died in 1965 and the death was registered in Widnes

Margaret (Frieda) was born in 1907 and I can't find a viable death record for her.

Obviously she is deceased, else she would be 109 or thereabouts now!

I just can't find a record of the death.

There's no remarriage as far as I am aware and I don't even have the last address for them both (I was 10 the last time I actually saw them).

I would image that Madeline and Carol are still alive though, that's my target.

I have no-one from my dad's side of the family (Houghton) very few left from my mums side (no I'm not ancient).

I have been trying to find them all for 25 years now! most of them went to America in the 30s and 40s, I have records for them going right up to 1956.

I figured that if I found some in the states them that would lead me to Madeline and Carol - no luck.

That leaves me with trying to find the two girls.

Maybe you're right, finding a death entry for Frieda (first name actually Margaret) will lead me a bit further.

Appreciate your help.

Mike Houghton

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jan 2016 21:49

Michael, If you have the exact date of Margaret's birth it will be easier to search deaths, assuming you haven't already done so, remembering that the info given on a death reg is only as good as the informer knows, it's not unusual for the year to be out.

I'm sending a private message to you with some info just as a very long shot.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Jan 2016 06:51

Unless you have the marriage certificate, are you positive Margaret (Frieda) was born in 1907? That would make her 41 when she married Leonard and having the girls at 42 and 46 seems a bit of a stretch.

There is a birth in 1924 in the right area.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Jan 2016 06:53

Perhaps Margaret remarried?

Marriages Jun 1968
HOUGHTON MARGARET F NEWTON WIDNES 10F 1043
NEWTON THOMAS HOUGHTON WIDNES 10F 1043

Rose

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jan 2016 12:09

for ref helpers the PM I sent gave a death and probate for a Margaret Frieda Carter born 1907, just based on the thought that she might have reverted to maiden name.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 1 Feb 2016 23:52

If you have a Worldwide Sub for Ancestry there is a Madeline Houghton
in the U.S Public Records 1950--1993. The 2 marraiges given for her in England would only make her 15-16yrs old

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 2 Feb 2016 00:23

Found this don't know if it fits in leonard and Margaret Houghton both born in 1932.
Lived in St Helens Lancs. Sailed to Sydney in 1958

Michael

Michael Report 2 Feb 2016 14:54

Thanks Elizabeth. Nether fit the known facts.

Madeline was born c1953

her aunt (also Madeline, emigrated to the US in 1930)

Mike H