Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

searching for ALIPHON family

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Odette

Odette Report 27 Jan 2016 07:21

I am 58 and have been searching for 30+ years for my father and any relatives on my father's side, with very little success to date.

I was born Odette Julie Renn 29/04/58 and adopted. I gained access to my Social Services file many years ago and from this, and from information from my mother, my father's name was Roger Aliphon, (possibly could have been Henri Roger Aliphon) originally from Neuilly sur Seine, Paris.
I have have been unable to trace any record of a Roger Aliphon in London in or around 1958, but I did find (via freebmd and electoral registers and phonebooks) a Henri R. Aliphon in 1958 inn London, a H. Roger Aliphon in 1963 in N15 London and a H. Roger Aliphon in Edmonton N13 in 1970. The last record I could find is of a H.R. Aliphon in 1981 in Pembrokeshire.

I don't know how common a name ALIPHON was in London in the late 1950's. I guess that my father, if he is still alive, would be in his mid to late 70's now.

I have tried searching British Dental Association records without success he may have qualified as a dentist and returned to France, or quit the profession and remained in the UK.

Please can anyone help or advise me?

Kind regards
Odette

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Jan 2016 10:38

Hi Odette

I don't know if you have noticed this..........

On the 1957...1958...1959...1960...London, England, Electoral Registers....Henri R Aliphon is residing with an Alfred William Scotto at 95 Brecknock Road, St Pancras.

On the 1961...1962...1963...London, England, Electoral Registers....Residing with Alfred William Scotto at the same address is Pierre R Aliphon.

There are no other Aliphon's at that address at the time.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Jan 2016 10:54

In case there is a family connection.......

There is a marriage for a Pierre R Aliphon......

Pierre R Aliphon in the England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005
Name: Pierre R Aliphon
Spouse Name: Barbara L Adams
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1960
Registration district: Hendon
Inferred County: Middlesex
Volume Number: 5e
Page Number:908

Barbara Aliphon in the London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965
Name: Barbara Aliphon
Year: 1965
County or Borough: Willesden
Ward or Division/Constituency: Brent
Street address: 30 Register >>>>>30 Bolton Road on the image

Residing with.......

Eileen B Aliphon
France P Aliphon
Pierre Aliphon
Haydee A Veron

France P and Elieen B Aliphon are at the same address in 1963 and 1964.

France P Aliphon in the England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005
Name: France P Aliphon
Spouse Name:Eileen B Phillips
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1960
Registration district: Willesden
Inferred County: Middlesex
Volume Number: 5f
Page Number: 545

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2016 11:09

Eileen seemed to have been living in Leighton Buzzard in the ER years 2002 & 2003 age 65+. Also at the same residence was Philippe F Aliphon age range 49-53.

FMP is/was down at the moment, so can't check the address

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Jan 2016 11:11

Looking at phone book entries........he is possibly France Philippe Aliphon.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2016 11:20

Eileen's listing on
http://www.searchelectoralroll.co.uk/Electoral_Roll_Search.asp

Details sent by PM

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Jan 2016 11:29

3 children were born to the Aliphon/Phillips marriage.

1 child born to the Aliphon/Adams marriage.

You can check them out on this free site........

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/.

Prickles.'o))

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2016 11:51

Possibly connected to the 1970 listing in Edmonton for H Roger Aliphon is the 1963 birth of a son Roger J Aliphon.

Not seeing a marriage using the mother's maiden name.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jan 2016 12:05

Found the full address in Leighton Buzzard. It was last sold in 2000, before the ER entry. If its owner occupied, you might consider writing - put a return addess on the rear of the envelope in case they've moved. Sometimes it helps to eliminate one line of enquiry before concentrating on others

Address sent by PM

Odette

Odette Report 27 Jan 2016 12:23

thank you I will continue with further research based on your suggestions

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Jan 2016 13:39

The two Aliphon/Phillips sons are on Facebook.

Info sent by PM.

Good luck with your search Odette.

Prickles. x

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 27 Jan 2016 17:02

In case this is relevant, there is a Roger Aliphon on the 1964 and 1965 London, England, Electoral Registers.....Residing at: 39 Greenfield Road, Tottenham with Daisy Aliphon............

Roger Aliphon in the London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965
Name:Roger Aliphon and Daisy Alphon
Year: 1964
County or Borough: Tottenham
Ward or Division/Constituency: Tottenham Central
Street Address: 32 Greenfield Road.

Daisy Aliphon in the London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965
Name: Daisy Aliphon and Roger Aliphon
Year: 1965
County or Borough: Tottenham
Ward or Division/Constituency: Tottenham Central
Street address:82 ......32 Greenfield Road.

Odette

Odette Report 28 Jan 2016 09:10

Thank you I have no idea which of the Aliphon's if any are connected but I guess I'll try to make contact with all of them to find out!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 1 Feb 2016 12:45

Odette, meanwhile, would you remove some of the personal info about your mother from your first post?

her date of birth should not be there; that is against the guidelines

it is probably unnecessary to give her birth name (or really her name at all) since she is not related to this search, and she may well not appreciate having her personal life described on the internet where anyone who might google her name would see it

of course I'm not persuaded that all of the various Aliphons discussed here, some of whom are likely living, would be interested in having their marriages and households and post codes put on the internet either

did people at this site at one time not generally send this kind of info by private message? with just sketchy info here that anyone else wanting to help can fill out by doing the searches

I know what's what I do ...

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 1 Feb 2016 13:52

for info ...

http://www.geopatronyme.com/

it seems that the Aliphons likely did not come from France

1891-1915 : 0 births
1916-1940 : 1 birth
1941-1965 : 0 births
1966-1990 : 2 births

Belgium and Mauritius are possibilities ...

you might be interested:

https://www.facebook.com/clancy.philippe/posts/10152673641954102

Odette

Odette Report 1 Feb 2016 15:48

Result! I've now found and made contact with my ALIPHON relatives who have been very happy to hear from me (although they didn't know I existed prior to this week!) and have welcomed me into their family.

They have been able to answer all of my unanswered questions and there will be ongoing contact between us.

Joonie Cloonie - your comments are noted, I have removed the personal information about my mother as requested.

Question: how does this affect my family tree on GR? Should I remove the name of my mother from it?

Odette

Odette Report 1 Feb 2016 15:52

PS: you're right, the Aliphons are from Mauritius although apparently they all descend from one individual who was born in France and moved to Mauritius (then called Isle de France) in the 1600s. It seems that all Aliphons are related and descended from that individual.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Feb 2016 03:49

Congratulations Odette, I imagine since they are not a large tribe they were pleased to know they've just grown by one!

The thing with trees here ... just one of the things this site doesn't tell anybody about privacy ...

it says you can 'hide living relatives' in your tree

but all that means is that if you give someone access to see your tree, they won't see those names

if someone does a 'search all trees', every name in your tree will come up, even children born this year

for living people, or even people close enough that they could make it easy to identify you, what I have done in the past is put 'my mother' and 'my father' as my parents' names, and call myself 'me myself' or something like that

you could also make the first names 'Ms' and 'Mr' and smush their name together in the surname line, like 'Ms janesmith' or 'Mr brownbob', just so they aren't searchable

what an interesting family history you now have ... and relations to visit in far-flung places!

oh but the big question, have you had news of your father? not to pry but if you want to say.

Odette

Odette Report 2 Feb 2016 18:06

Thank you for your congratulations and suggestions. Yes, I've spoken to my father's brother who was able to give me a lot of information including sadly the fact that he died some years ago in Paris. The brother had a photograph from the 1950's of my father with my mother - which he's now sent to me - amazing to see my father for the first time and my mother with him. Who would have thought that this photo would be unearthed so quickly after all these years. At least I know who my father was, what he looked like, and all about him. I'm told by family that they are certain he did not know my mother was expecting a baby and went on to have me. She "disappeared" from his life very suddenly apparently. He went on to marry and had two children who are therefore my half brother and sister. The family are approaching them on my behalf as its obviously a bit sensitive. Thanks again.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Feb 2016 20:59

Sad news but happy news too. Best wishes with the next step in the journey. And congrats to the members here who helped make it happen!