Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

relative search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jane

jane Report 22 Feb 2016 18:45

Hi ,I am looking for my father Robert Harding who was I believe Australian but was working in Mevagissey cornwall in 1966 .It was there he met my mother Rita Hearn .I believe he had relatives here and may have been an engineer .many thanks ,Jane Thompson .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Feb 2016 20:49

Welcome to the boards Jane.

Are you in contact with your mother? Could she give some indication on how old he was?
Does she know who he was working for as it might remotely be possible to trace the firm and work collegues?

As you can imagine, with scant info and a common name, its going to be a daunting task.

jane

jane Report 24 Feb 2016 11:52

unfortunately my mum is unwilling to divulge much information !,she says he was younger than her and shes 77 now .He was working as a waiter in a hotel near to mevagissey cornwall.He apparently had English relations .I think he was in mevagissey May 1966 .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Feb 2016 12:16

With so many hotels having closed or changed hands since then, the employment route is virtually closed.

Have you considered placing an advert in one of the local papers? It may ring a bell for someone who also knew him.
If he was an engineer but working in the hotel industry, it does suggest that he might have over here on a short visa. We don't even know if his UK relatives also carried the Harding surname, or something different.

UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, (Ancestry) stop at 1960, so that's no use.
If his parents emigrated to Australia prior to his birth, it could be before WW2.