Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

C. N. Shoppee

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Feb 2016 20:17

My cousin, born in West Sussex, was initially fostered as a little boy by a Mrs Gilpin/Gelpin and then adopted c.1950, possibly privately, by her daughter & son-in-law, in the Newhaven area (this is what I have been told). His current surname, if changed, is unknown.
About 10yrs ago he wrote unsuccessfully to a family member. The letter is long gone, though possibly he was then living in Kent..
I would very much like to hear from him if he, or anyone who may know him, sees this. He has other close family members to meet too. Thank you.

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Pam

Pam Report 26 Feb 2016 20:38

Have you tried Search All member Trees which is located under SEARCH on the top right of the page. If you find anyone with his original name you may be able to make contact through the page which comes up.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Feb 2016 22:11

He is Christopher n born in 1946 mmn bates

He has several siblings born from 1937

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 26 Feb 2016 23:54

There are four people besides yourself with Christopher Shoppee in their trees here at this site (two of them have duplicate trees/accounts)

do you know any or all of them?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/shoppee/christopher

if not, you can try contacting them by private message from those search results

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Feb 2016 19:28

Janet, I'm going to copy your PM here because it's best for anyone who has posted here, or who might help, to see your reply - unless info is sensitive, just use the 'add your reply' box at the bottom so your info appears in the thread :-)

----------

Hello Jooonie Yes I know! I've been delving in various ways for quite a while, so have posted this in case I eventually hear from someone linked to him. Many thanks, Jan.

----------

Not sure what you mean - you do know those people, or you don't and you have tried to contact them but had no luck?

it helps us to help if we know what you have tried already

the odds are very low that he or anyone who knows him will stumble on this message of yours - but if someone googles his name, maybe they will

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Feb 2016 19:29

oh, and now marking a post here as 'answered' actually marks your entire thread as answered (meaning you need no further assistance) ... no one realises this and site management refuses to fix the problem

you might edit your subject line to add something like 'assistance still needed' so other members know not to skip over your thread now

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 27 Feb 2016 19:31

do you know Christopher's original middle name ... might it have been Nicholas?

do you know anything about the social circumstances of the family he was fostered and adopted by? was Mrs Gilpin married (i.e. not widowed, or single but called 'Mrs') at the time she fostered?

I ask because there is a Mrs Gilpin in the 1939 register I am wondering about, who had a daughter who married in the mid-1950s and may have a son for whom there is no birth record ...