Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Donnelly Glasgow lived in Bradford 1969

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim anne marie

Kim anne marie Report 9 Mar 2016 11:37

Looking for John Donnelly family glasgow he will back about 75 years old now,
He was in Bradford in 1969 and had a little girl.
Please would love to find my biological father..kim

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Mar 2016 00:59

Hello Kim, yours is not an easy search.

looking at the website www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ... there were 28 John Donnellys born in Glasgow between 1938 and 1944

(age 75 now would be born in 1940-41)

do you have any idea about any of:

- his middle name if he had one?
- the names of anyone in his family (parents, brother/sister ...)
- whether he stayed in the area?

Did he know about your birth?

Assuming he was not married at the time ... no John Donnelly married in Bradford

a John S married in Huddersfield in 1976
and a John married in Sheffield in 1972
another John married in Don Valley district in the same quarter of the year 1969 that you were born

a middle name or initial would probably be the most useful thing for trying to find his birth for starters, which could lead to his parents' names and possibly help find other family members

at this website, two people have a JD born 1943 in Glasgow and one person has a JD born 1940 in Glasgow, and several people have a JD (or more than one JD) born 1938 in Glasgow

The odds are against any of them being your John, but there would be no harm in sending them a message just asking whether their John ever lived in Bradford.

Kim anne marie

Kim anne marie Report 11 Mar 2016 09:48

Hi there,
Thanks for fast reply, and very accurate research.
You are right this is a difficult search all i know is there was a big family in Glasgow.
He is not named on my birth certificate.
But he apparently tried to get full custody of me through court in manor row bradford.that building does not exist now.i rang the new family court and they said they probably won't have archives going so far back.Im not sure if he was born in 1940,
Just in know my mum was.its very hard to get information as my mothers now got dementia and in no state of mind to remember anything all she says is John dannelly or dinelly or donnellly I not sure. I really am looking for a needle in a hay stack.
Trying to find him due to my health deteriating and my children are asking questions I have not got answer to.
So any information is greatly appreciated
Thank you again for your help

Kim :-)

Christine

Christine Report 11 Mar 2016 17:25

Hi Kim

I have recently been on a similar search for my children's grandfather.like you I knew where the court had been, so I emailed the local county archives and they said they didn't know if they had the record, but I could either pay for them to look or visit. In my case it was the mother trying establish paternity and some maintenance, which went before the local petty sessions at magistrate's court. I visited and looked through an enormous ledger and found the details of the Bastardy Order (dreadful name!) with his full name on it, not the one he went by. This was in 1945, sadly the order was not allowed as he denied responsibility. I would think there is a very good chance the records you are looking for are still in existence.

Chris
x

Kim anne marie

Kim anne marie Report 11 Mar 2016 18:46

Hi Chris,
Thank you for replying,
And sharing that valuable information with me,much appreciated.
My mum did say it was his mum that wanted me not sure about much but apparently i was a toddler by time it went to court.
I am going to try find out where those archives are going to be held, cant see them been destroyed then, maybe if i find my biological grandmother that will lead me closer to finding my birth dad.
As I don't even know what she was called.
I'll keep searching maybe one day I'll get the results I'm searching for.

Kim
:-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Mar 2016 22:49

That is a very hopeful message from Christine ... possibly the files themselves were destroyed but a register of that kind was retained, even.

Yes, if the application was in John's mother's name, that would be extremely useful information, more so than if it was in his name,in fact (if it were just his name without details like address for instance). I would guess that more likely he made the application, under pressure by his mother, though.

Good luck in that search and if you find info that would help further searching, and could use assistance, don't hesitate to come back!

Kim anne marie

Kim anne marie Report 18 Apr 2016 15:49

Update of progress,
I found the bastardy records and emailed the wyas and they agreed the npo emotion
In them can only be released to me if my father and mother both give consented signature.
What I don't understand is it can't get my birth dad's signature as it him in am trying to find in the records.
Looks like it am not going to get any closer now unless I pay for someone to help me.
Do you have any contact details addresses and numbers of anyone that could help me locate my birth dad?

Thanks kim
:-(

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 18 Apr 2016 17:06

not sure what 'npo emotion' is - was it a motion to the court?

this seems like an access to information vs privacy (data protection) issue ... a big issue in this 'information age'

I might suggest a Freedom of Information request

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-freedom-of-information-request/the-freedom-of-information-act

https://www.gov.uk/data-protection

someone at the court office would be responsible for telling you where and how to make a request

I am not familiar with the rules or procedures, but they should have a freedom of information officer to inform you.