Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Flanagans from Mayo in Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 12 Mar 2016 16:37

Hi there i was hoping someone could provide us with some help on searching some records or census for a John Joseph Flanagan possibly born between 1935 to 1940 or around. This gentleman dated my grandmother Elieen I stoton in Southport Lancashire during late 1950s. My grandmother Elieen was born in 1937 in Southport she was also know as Elieen I stoton Rimmer as this was her fathers last name and stoton was her mothers maiden name.

As far as I am aware John would come over from Ireland and visit her as he had his family back there and couldnt find work in Southport back then as its such a small coastal town. Going by the letters he wrote to my grandmother he must have been dating her from something like 1957 to 1960 as this was the last letter but the last letter was sent from London so i think he moved there later on for work. During 1959 my grandmother fell pregnant with twins one boy and one girl and john was the father. Around 1960 the letters must have stopped.

I dont know anything about John who is my grandfather all i am guessing is his age and i know he came from the county Mayo possibly from Louisburg, claremorris or killgeever. As this is where all the letter some to have been sent from at that time. He states his grandmother was ill in the 1950s and he had to return back there because of that. Other than that I have nothing else to go on if anyone recognises this story or can do some record checks for me i would be extremely grateful. I have come across one family but i cant seem to find anything soild Does anyone know from a flanagan family from that area?. Many thanks

malyon

malyon Report 12 Mar 2016 17:54

there are about 55 john j flanagans on electrol list in uk was he named on the twins birth certificate

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 12 Mar 2016 20:05

Hi there no he wasnt named on there unfortunerly! i am really trying hard to narrow it down

malyon

malyon Report 12 Mar 2016 22:21

just found this one

JOHN JOSEPH FLANAGAN
England & Wales deaths 1837-2007
Collections from
Great Britain
Country
England
County
London
Year
Birth Year
Event Quarter
District
FULHAM

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 12 Mar 2016 23:17

Hi there yes i found this one too! i thought it may have been thankyou for looking! :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Mar 2016 10:55

????

No second name though

Name: John Flanagan
Mother's Surname: Lyons
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1934
Registration district: Claremorris
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 4
Page: 99
FHL Film Number: 101232

Or this one

John J ? Flanagan
Mother's Surname: Foody
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1940
Registration district: Claremorris
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 4
Page: 82

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 20 Mar 2016 12:00

wow theres a few there i do believe he could have gone upto london for work! so its very possible those records

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Mar 2016 20:19

I see you have Eileen as Stoton in your tree. However, she appears to have been a Rimmer when she was born and married and her maiden name is listed as Rimmer for her children also.

Rose

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 21 Mar 2016 06:35

hi yes sorry thats correct shes Elieen isobel stoton rimmer her father was a rimmer and stoton comes from her mothers maiden name

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 21 Mar 2016 19:52

considering the two possible JJF births above in Claremorris
(which I would not have posted here since the people are possibly still living)

this is a list of the births with mother Foody, the youngest shown being born 1945

http://tinyurl.com/hxohpl5

and these are the births with mother Lyons in Claremorris, the youngest shown being born 1946

http://tinyurl.com/hwm8shh

you could try searching trees at this and other websites for those names, to see whether any family members have them, and try contacting to ask about their John

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 21 Mar 2016 21:11

thankyou very much indeed! your very kind x

angelseyez

angelseyez Report 24 Apr 2016 21:57

:-)