Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sheila McCrudden

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alice

Alice Report 3 Apr 2016 22:43

Hi I am trying g to trace my mothers cousin Sheila MCCrudden she would possibly be the age range of 75-78 born in Glasgow her mum was Charlotte McCrudden nee
Hamilton she had a sister called Norma. Their mum and my mums dad were briber and sister. Last known address was Cumbernaukd ??? Any help would be grateful.

Thanks

Alice Wright

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Apr 2016 23:10

whose last address was in Cumbernauld please

Did Sheila marry .? Do you know her current name ?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Apr 2016 19:51

http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk

doing a free search and narrowing the options, Norma was born 1934 (and there is no other Norma born close to then, the only other one being born 1961)

similarly Sheila was born 1937 and the only other Sheila was born in the 1960s

so those would be the two births of your mother's two cousins

for marriages for the name Sheila McCrudden
there was one in 1957
there was one in 1963
there was one in 1990

if your Sheila married her marriage would likely be one of the first two

it would not cost a lot to view the first marriage certificate at scotlandspeople

if that is your Sheila I would probably still check the 1963 marriage - those first two marriages were both in Glasgow and the 1990 marriage was not - to make sure she didn't marry a second time

you would be able to check the parents' names on the marriage certificate to see whether they matched your information

and then you would know Sheila's current surname if you have no other way of learning it

there was one Norma marriage in Glasgow, in 1956

that is all that can be found without paying to view the info though

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Apr 2016 20:07

have you searched trees at this site?

some people have a Charlotte Hamilton born 1900 in Lanarkshire for example

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/hamilton/charlotte?yearofbirth=1903&yearofbirthrange=10

do you know when/where your Charlotte was born?

you can contact those tree owners if you think they have the same Charlotte Hamilton, and also put her and her husband McCrudden in a tree of your own so that people who search will find you

the only Hamilton + McCrudden marriage in Scotland 1855-2014 was in 1921 in Glasgow, but the bride's name doesn't answer to 'Charlotte'

the husband was Peter, does that fit your couple?

two people at this site have a Peter McCrudden born 1907 Glasgow, too young, and one born 1880 who would seem a little old

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/mccrudden/peter?yearofbirth=1895&yearofbirthrange=20

Alice

Alice Report 5 Apr 2016 20:16

Thanks to my replies I got her mums name mixed up her mother was Rebecca McCrudden, the reason for trying to trace Sheila is my mum (78) would love to meet up with her again my problem is I don't have a current address for her.

Alice

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Apr 2016 02:30

So Alice, did you follow the information about how to find out what Sheila's name is now?

if you don't know that, you really have no hope of finding her ...

unless she or someone who knows her happens to search the internet for her name and find this thread, and the likelihood of that happening is very close to none

It does happen though, so make sure you keep your email address in your account here up to date in case it does some time in future, and click 'Watch this thread' in case someone replies here, so you get notification.

But meanwhile, it would be smart to try looking for her, which starts with finding out her name

and searching trees at this website

So Peter McCrudden and Rebecca Hamilton married in 1921 (I confirmed with a search on scotlandspeople)

aha you now have Rebecca Hamilton 1899 in your tree here

do you already know all of the other people who have her in their trees?

... the unfortunate thing is that scotlandspeople shows 2 Rebecca Hamiltons born in 1899

but all you can do is ask the other people, if you don't know them already, whether their Rebecca is your Rebecca

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/hamilton/rebecca?yearofbirth=1899

two of the same people (Susan and William) have Peter McCruddens in their trees as well

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/mccrudden/peter?&yearofbirth=1895&yearofbirthrange=10

Alice

Alice Report 7 Apr 2016 23:18

Hi Joonie thanks for your help. Sheila married Robert King Hamilton in 1957 he is now deceased and she then married a Jimmy McGarry in 1963 this is the last name that I'd have for her her we are just wishing to make contact so that she can help with filling in some of the blanks

Again thanks for your help

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Apr 2016 02:14

Alice ... you knew her name from the outset and still you didn't offer it until now ............ !!!!!!!

go here

http://www.searchelectoralroll.co.uk/

and search for Sheila McGarry living with James McGarry

there is one result that would pretty surely be the right couple

a crosscheck at the 192.com website shows that the address you will find there is valid for this year

unfortunately there is no telephone listing there or at BT on line

google maps shows it to be not a major road, more a little octopus of little clusters of houses not totalling much more than 50 I would think, so a letter without a house number could reach her?

Alice

Alice Report 9 Apr 2016 16:14

thamks for your help I have a bigger search that I'm after this us just a wee fraction so hopefully as you say a letter will solve my problem