Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adoption looking for birth mother ANN MITCHELL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anita

Anita Report 6 Apr 2016 14:01

Hi I am doing my family tree and have come to a halt as have minamilist information to go by any help will be greatfully apriciated.

My name Lesley dawn Mitchel born 22/07\1954
I was born at 48 nascott wood road in Watford
My birth mother is Ann Mitchell born between 1930-1935 she resides at St olives nursing home (Aka mother and baby unit ) in St Albans u till I was give up 6 weeks later.

As you can see minimal information any help would be greatfully appreciated

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2016 14:40

Welcome to the boards Anita.

Have you accessed your adoption file? There may be more clues to the circumstances of your birth and your mother's family background.

Have you made a couple of typos? Your birth isn't registered as you describe although there is one for Lesley D Mitchell (2 LL's) in 1954 in the right area.

If that is correct, find the entry on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Create a generic email address and leave a message via a Post'em. Say something like 'Lesley Dawn aka Dawn Lesley welcomes contact from birth family'

There are quite a few entries on members trees for an Anita Mitchell or Mitchel in the years you suggest she was born. Use the Search all members trees under the Search menu, top right of the page.
Normally we'd suggest sending the tree owners a message, but as they may not know if she had a child outside of any marriage, it leads to a tricky situation.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Apr 2016 14:52

The address 48 Nascott Wood Road, Watford looks to be a 'new build' certainly more modern than 1953/4.

If you were to contact Watford Library they could tell you where the historical Electoral Rolls are held. For a fee, they (or who ever holds them) could look for the appropriate year and tell you the names of the people living there who would be entitled to vote (age 21+). You may find that it is a nursing/maternity home rather than a family house. But you never know!

Anita

Anita Report 12 Apr 2016 10:03

We have been through electral roles and they use to be tennament home with lots of fanilys in them my mother isnt named on them so asune she was under 21 just need to find out relavance to any families there. And all information given is off birth certificate and adoption papers .. X

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Apr 2016 10:46

Did you make a note of who lived at no. 48?
It might be possible to work out if they were related to your birth mother. She could have been sent away to relatives to hide her 'condition' from the local community.

Anita

Anita Report 13 Apr 2016 20:45

Yes we have but we cant find any relation nothing with her name :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Apr 2016 21:26

Did you go back a generation to look at marriages/maiden names, finding siblings and their marriages/children etc etc?
it must be frustrating as you can't work back from Ann without knowing her parent's names.

Although you have lots of information, its not helping to find your birth mother.

The only other suggestion is to make sure that you never delete your account with GR, just eventually allow it to lapse. As long as you ensure that your usual email is linked to your account, you can still receive and reply to messages sent privately. Also, make sure you've ticked the 'Watch This' box at the beginning of the thread so that you are alerted if someone adds to it.

Although rare, it has been known for relatives to stumble on a thread where they can give further information. Its frustrating for everyone when its realised the original poster has deleted their account.