Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to find possible siblings?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ElayeB

ElayeB Report 16 May 2016 23:26

Hi

I'm very new here so apologies if I'm posting in the incorrect section.

I'm looking to try and find out if I have any siblings but have no idea where to start this search.
I have my fathers details(name/DOB) and possible whereabouts(he left when I was 3 which was 33 years ago and I never saw him again).

As I get older I find myself more and more curious.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Laura.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 May 2016 00:08

Welcome to the boards Laura.

As you've an idea where he is, do we take it you don't wish to make contact? How about trying to trace his immediate birth family - siblings or parents - instead?

Unless you know he (re)married, its virtually impossible to identify any half-siblings you may have.
A birth registration will show the child's first name, the mother's maiden name and, if she was married, the father's surname. If they weren't married, then he would have to attended the Registration to have his surname included.

Using a random name on http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl and looking for Father's surname Smith, mother's maiden name Green in 1914

SMITH Leslie Green Lewisham 1d 2073

Broken down becomes

Father's Surname - SMITH
Child's forename - Leslie
Mother's maiden name -Green
Registration district - Lewisham
Volume - 1d
Page - 2073

Without purchasing the birth certificate from www.gro.gov.uk, we've no idea what the parent's first names were.

Were an unmarried mother registered a child's birth & the father wasn't present, the child would only be recorded with the mother's surname eg
Green, Leslie mmn Green.

You could try using the search all members trees for your father's name. If anyone lists him, send them a message asking how they are related. Be tactful as they may not know about you. Just mention that your mother was friends with him 30 odd years ago.

ElayeB

ElayeB Report 17 May 2016 10:25

Hi and thank you.

Yes I'm not too sure if I want to make contact with my father.
I only can remember his parents names and the only person I could ask for extra info has sadly passed away so hence me being a tad stuck.

I never even thought of it like that so yes, think I've got a bit of a search ahead of me. I did search some trees last night, I'll start on that again now. And yes I'll stay vague :)

Thank you so much for the useful advice. Very appreciated.

Laura.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 May 2016 12:51

You might be able to find your father's birth reg on FreeBmd. That will give you his mothers mn. Then look for a marriage between those 2 surnames - you think you know their first names which will help. Even if you only use eg James Smith, spouse White you could get a result. Click on the page number to see the other names recorded on the same page & to discover Miss White' forenames.

Once you've established a year, you can look for additional children - your aunts/uncles in a suitable area and year range by using the same surnames as appear on your fathers birth reg.

It should be mentioned the above only applies to England & Wales BMD. Scotland & N Ireland have their own registers.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 18 May 2016 00:03

Looks like your dad has a brother. I think your cousin has your grandmother listed on this site. Try contacting him.

Rose

ElayeB

ElayeB Report 18 May 2016 13:18

Can I ask where you saw this as struggling to find family links on here. Thank you.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 18 May 2016 15:32

I'm not seeing a birth registration for the Grandmother.

Her name differs on her marriage registration to her name on her death registration.

What name is she listed as on the cousins tree on here Rose?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 18 May 2016 16:14

Will PM you.

Rose

brigid

brigid Report 19 May 2016 03:02

Good luck in your search elaye

Have you looked on fb

A friend found her half siblings via fb because father had unusual name
They exchanged phone numbers and the day she phoned her sis their dad happened to be visiting !

Hope you have happy ending too

ElayeB

ElayeB Report 19 May 2016 09:12

Thank you Brigid

I have searched Facebook but never realised how popular my maiden surname is so it's really tricky trying to filter through :)