Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Harold Smith

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gail

Gail Report 31 May 2016 19:59

Has anyone any information about Harold Smith, born 1922 in Wath on Dearne Yorkshire, England .
He lived in Kenya, Australia and New Zealand, and had 4 children.
I'd be really grateful for any information!
Thanks in anticipation,
Gail

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 May 2016 21:34

With such a common name, its rather difficult to find anything at all.

Did/does he have a middle initial?

What other info do you have on him eg
When did he live in the various countries?
What are his children's names, place or country & year of birth?
Would they have kept in contact with him?
Were and when was the last contact?
Where there any siblings who may have kept in touch?

If the children had the same mother, was she last known to be with Harold so that we could look for her?
If not, would it help to look for the last known spouse/partner or is that info already known?

Although there is no need to publicise details of their personal affairs, any additional snippet could give a clue.

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 May 2016 21:36

?

Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960 Transcription
Learn more

Print transcription View image
First name(s) HAROLD
Last name SMITH
Title MR
Gender Male
Birth year 1922
Birth day 4
Birth month 9
Marital status S
Occupation ENGINEER
Departure year 1955
Departure day 25
Departure month 8
Departure port LONDON
Destination port MOMBASA
Destination MOMBASA
Country KENYA
Destination country KENYA
Ship name DUNNOTTAR CASTLE
Ship master's first name P H
Ship master's last name ?
City LONDON
Ship destination port SOUTH AFRICA
Ship destination country SOUTH AFRICA
Number of passengers 0
Record set Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960
Category Travel & migration
Subcategory Passenger lists
Collections from Australasia, Great Britain, Ireland, United States

What other info do you have on him Gail?

His birth can be found on freebmd.org.uk Rotherham is the district that covers Wath on Dearne.

EDIT Wath on Dearne address given on image, he was single

Gail

Gail Report 31 May 2016 22:56

Harold was my father. He and my mother divorced when I was 2 years old. I know very little about him. I have several records of his voyages to Africa, and New Zealand. He married for the second time around 1958 and his wife was called Brenda. They had 4 more children,born c1960 in Tanzania, 1965 and 1968 in Australia and 1970 in New Zealand. I have found this from the ships records.
He didn't have a middle name unfortunately. I believe he died in the late 1980 s, possibly in Australia

Thanks for your help!

Gail

Gail Report 31 May 2016 23:02

I do know the names of his children who are my brothers and sisters, and who probably don't know I exist!
Harold was born 4 Sept 1922.
Father Harry Smith, mother Sarah nee Lyalls. Sarah had been married before to Willie Denby who died in the 1917 flu epidemic.
Harold and his father both worked on the railway.

Gail

Rambling

Rambling Report 31 May 2016 23:06

Previous thread comes up via Google, Gail it would have been useful to know that you already had details of the children's names and what has already been tried.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1335047

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 1 Jun 2016 21:54

thank you Rose

previous thread on which I, for one, spent a lot of time, and here you are Gail just inviting people to do the same thing all over again by starting a new thread and not giving any of the info known or saying any of the searches that have already been done.

one thread per person/family

if you want more help with a question, just add another post to the existing thread which brings it back to the top of the list

you can find your threads any time by clicking 'my threads' on the left

and anyone who has posted in your thread will see that there is a new message in it when they click their own 'my threads'