Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Henry McNally

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 9 Jun 2016 16:15

This might seem an odd way to go about this but it is the only option open to me.
Henry was born 2nd June 1909 in Embsay, Skipton. Parents James McNally and Janet Ann Scott.
There is a possibility that he had a son by a lady called Melba (Surname unknown). Family anecdotes suggest he might have been called Jack or Jacky and had a date of birth around 1942. There may be connections with Sheffield (Adoptive parents?) and Pontypridd in Wales (From whence Melba might have come?).
If you think any of this sounds familiar and you might be this son, please contact me.
Thank you. Kind Regards. Bill.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 10 Jun 2016 03:58

Name: Henry McNally
Birth Date: abt 1910
Date of Registration: Mar 1965
Age at Death: 55 (died before birthday in 1965)
Registration district: Worth Valley
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
Volume: 2c
Page: 41

marriage

Marriages Sep 1937
MCNALLY Henry Whisker Middlesbro' 9d 1654
Whisker Hetty McNally Middlesbro' 9d 1654

edit - wrong marriage but presumably right death

it could be very interesting to see who he was living with in 1939 or even where he was living, but I have had no luck at all

... possibly he was in Wales? but the register covers Wales as well ...

William

William Report 10 Jun 2016 14:14

Hi, Thanks very much for the info and your efforts on my behalf.
Unfortunately, this is the wrong Henry McNally.
Thanks again. Bill.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Jun 2016 00:07

perhaps you have the death record for your Henry McNally?

The one I posted was born in early 1910 or in 1909 after March.

your Henry:

Births Sep 1909
McNALLY Henry Skipton 9a 43

No other Henry McNally was born in England/Wales in 1909 or 1910.

Looking again, though, I suspect the Middlesbrough marriage is a different Henry, who was born slightly later, in Middlesbrough.

Unfortunately, as I said, no Henry McNally with the birthdate you gave, or anything similar, can be found in the 1939 register. Perhaps he has been mistranscribed, but no one with that birthdate has a name that resembles his.

The thing is that knowing where he was - in 1939, where he married if so, where he died - is one thing that could possibly help find more info. 'Melba' is not a very common name and it might be possible to find a match in 1939 if we knew where he was.

I guess you have info about his life that isn't given but that would not help find answers.

Unfortunately, without a surname for the mother and child, chances of finding any info are pretty much nil.

One thing to consider is DNA testing, if Henry has sons or grandsons, or a brother with sons or grandsons. If the child you refer to were to take that route to try to discover family connections, you would find a match. It is a huge long shot, but you could investigate YDNA testing with Family Tree DNA if you wanted to consider it.

patchem

patchem Report 11 Jun 2016 07:21

The 1940 ER has James and Janet Ann in Skipton, with Henry as NM (naval or military) and absent. He has been living with them on the ER throughout the 1930's.

'Harry' seems to be back with James by 1946 (Janet dies in 1945)

24 ladies called Melba born in Pontypridd area 1905 to 1925

patchem

patchem Report 11 Jun 2016 07:47

No Jack's born in Pontypridd in 1942 or 1943.

Do family stories say whether 'Melba' was unmarried, or a married affair?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Jun 2016 16:24

If Henry was naval or military, he could have had a partner pretty much anywhere he was.

Does he have a living child who might be able to obtain his naval/military records? I don't know whether some other family member could apply if a person had no children.

An idea of what ship he was on, or where he was posted,could help.

If it is not known who his family was at the time of his death, it could be useful to have his death certificate to see whether a family member was the informant.

His absence from the 1939 register is now explained by the fact that it included only 'every civilian in Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.

I guess it would have helped to know from the beginning that Henry was in the navy or military (I suspect you know which one, as well). Would have saved me an awful lot of time looking in the 1939 register anyway.

And of course, 'Jack' could have been John ...

William

William Report 12 Jun 2016 10:34

Hi, Thanks once again for your efforts on my behalf. I have done quite a bit of work on this and it does help to find that someone else has the same train of thought as myself.
I have altered the heading paragraph to more reflect the fact that the message is intended for the son - if indeed he exists.
Thanks once again for your help.