Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian James

Ian James Report 4 Sep 2016 21:55

I am in possession of a birth certificates for twins, born in 1941. in Cardiff.
Th e certificates state "Adopted" but no other info available.
I have now located a birth entry for 1941 in Cardiff and the reference
number shown is the same as that for the twins, but for a different
name, which may be the adopted name.
Can someone tell me whether this was normal practice.
Many thanks
Ian

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Sep 2016 22:19

Hello Ian,

A nornal ordered birth certificate is always in the christian name/s&surname given at registration,and bears no indication to any christian name/s &surname change (if any)after adoption.

Jane Smith could become Lucy Brown after adoption but the post adoptive name is not entered into the normal UK birth indexes.

Birth indexes will be,ie

Vol 6d-- Page 324.,,,,,,and can apply to other entered births in the same district ie Vol 6d,Page 324.its the details on the certificat that define who it belongs to.plus each certificate has its own registration entry number on it.

Ian James

Ian James Report 4 Sep 2016 22:32

Thanks Kay. The reference number on ancestry for the twins is the same as
given to someone else. with a different name. There does not look like any error in
the records.I suppose a copy of the "new" certificate might give some info to
follow. Ian

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Sep 2016 22:43

Ian,

You can not get a copy of the --new certificate -in the new adoptive name unless you know all the details,,,,,,such as the name now known as,also when &where the adoption took place and the name of the adoptive parents,,,this certificate is a replacement birth certificate and more commonly known as an -adoption certificate.,,,,,,the entires of full adoption details are confidential and not open to the public.

The birth indexes ,,as I put can be,

Jones Alan, Vol 6d Page 100.
Jones Brian Vol 6d Page 100,,,,,,it doesnt mean they are related in any way just that 6d is the district code for Cardiff,,,,,,,and both can be found in the same registration book at the GRO,,these page & vol nunbers are for GRO ref use only and bear no reference to the certificate number entry number that appears in Col 1 on the actucal birth certificate,,,,,,,,

Ian James

Ian James Report 4 Sep 2016 23:25

thanks again Kay, I understand that.
Can you tell me the best place to go to seek adoption information?
The twins I refer to have a sister of whom they have no knowledge,
so this sister would do the enquiring.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Sep 2016 23:44

Her best bet would be to register with the Adoption Contact Register at the GRO in the hope that the twins decide to do the same if they want to contact their birth family. If they do then they will be put in contact with each other.

Kath. x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Sep 2016 23:47

Ian,

Sent you a detailed message which appears above--purple envelope.