Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help?!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 16 Oct 2016 19:58

I am looking for a male named Shaun Donoghue, born in July 1970 in Nantwich, Crewe.
Please help.
:-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Oct 2016 20:07

I see by his birth record that he has a small s against the page nos indicating he was adopted

You would need to know his current name to try and find him

Have you tried looking in members trees to see if anyone has him listed

His birth is on FreeBMD .you could add an addendum to it with your contact details so if anyone goes looking for his original birth cert they will see the info

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Oct 2016 20:55

Welcome to the boards Nicola.

If you are a birth relative, add your name to the Adoption Contact Register and hope that he has too
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Do you know if his mother married later? Its always possible that her husband adopted him.

Assuming he was adopted outside of the family, you could try contacting the SS responsible and ask if they will leave a letter from his birth family on his file.

Add him under his birth name to your tree. If he or a current relative is looking for his birth family on this site, they would use the 'Search All Members Trees' to see if anyone else has added his name.

Even if you have only taken out a free trial, always make sure that GR has the details of the email address you use most. That way, if he should stumble upon this thread, he could contact you by clicking on your name. The same applies if his name comes up on a tree search. NEVER delete your account, just allow it to lapse. There have been instances when an old thread is resurrected by someone who knows the subject person, only to find that the 'seeker' has deleted their account.

Nicola

Nicola Report 16 Oct 2016 21:31

Thank you very much. Yes he was adopted 5 months after birth.
I am looking on behalf of my mum who will be Shaun's half brother but we do have little information to go on. Just an original birth certificate plus an adoption paper that has been found after both my grandparents have passed away.

I am also very new to this and I have no idea what I am doing or how to add a sibling or aunt/uncle to my family tree but I thank you both for your response and will take up any advice given.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Oct 2016 06:25

What does the adoption paper say ?

Am assuming it's giving consent for the adoption not the new name as this isn't usually disclosed