Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth & marriage names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 19 Oct 2016 20:09

Whilst adding my daughter in law to my tree I discovered that what I thought was her mother's surname is in fact hers. Also she was born in Scunthorpe in Nov1968 and the birth that matches (her names & her mother's surname) is in the 1st quarter. Her name is not a common name. I have also found 2 marriages which match one in what I would presume was her father's surname and another on the same day & page etc. in her mother's second husbands name. Her mother and half sister I found on the electoral register in Dyfed, Wales where I know they live. How could the birth be wrong? and why would a marriage be in both surnames? It seems a bit too big a coincidence to have so many matching facts for it not to be her.
I am very confused. My son did once say that she had had a lot of surnames.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Oct 2016 21:35

It's not that easy to follow what you are saying

Maybe her mum wasn't married when she was born but her dad is named on the birth reg

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Oct 2016 21:38

As far as a marriage showing two surnames it could be her mum had been married before so both surnames would show ,i.e. The birth surname and the first marriage surname

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Oct 2016 00:05

If someone has been known by two different surnames then they are often both listed when they marry.

As for the birth being registered in her mother's maiden name, have you looked for a marriage for her mother after the birth? If so, does the name of her first husband match that of one of the names the daughter married under?

Kath. x

Pauline

Pauline Report 20 Oct 2016 16:49

Thanksto both of you. Sorry about the confusion but for obvious reasons I don't want to put any names. . Kath, the listing of both names on marriage was one of the things I wanted to know about. Re the birth, her parents had been married several years (older brother) and the birth I found at Scunthorpe (where I know she was born) and the year are correct, also her mother's maiden name it's the date which is wrong! Her birthday is November but the birth I found is March. If I knew how to send a private reply I could send you the info but I can't see how to do it. Pauline

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Oct 2016 17:03

You can send both Kathleen & Shirley private messages by clicking on their name. That'll open up a PM message box which you can type in. Only you and recipients will be privy to the info.

If you say she was born in Nov of eg 1970, but her birth was registered in Mar e.g. 1970, something is a bit 'off'. If you'd said born Nov 1969 but registered Mar 1970, that would be understandable. The March, Jun, Sep & Dec refer to the end month of each registration quarter. March would encompass registrations (not actual birth dates) made in Jan, Feb or March.
With 6 weeks to register a birth, someone born towards the end of November could have their birth registered in January the following year.

PM Kath & Shirley. Let them have a closer look.

Pauline

Pauline Report 20 Oct 2016 19:13

Thanks will do. That would explain things.

Pauline

Pauline Report 20 Oct 2016 19:49

Have sent a PM message to Kath and Shirley - hope it worked.
I am quite convinced that the birth date is a year previous to what I thought (1967 not 1968) now. Thanks again. Pauline
PS It's amazing how things can suddenly become clear after a few words with others.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Oct 2016 23:48

I got your message Pauline and have replied to you.

Kath. x