Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jennifer Anne Ellis Birth 1947

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 27 Oct 2016 20:40

I would like to trace this lady .My dad Walter Ellis married to Annie Rayner in 1940. in Yorkshire They were divorced in 1947 when he married my Mum 1947, I would like to know if you could be my half sister. Who name is on your birth certificate please.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Oct 2016 21:36

A married woman could register a child with her husband's name as her own present surname even if they were not together.
Not sure about if they had actually divorced.

You could apply for a copy of the certificate yourself, to find details.

malyon

malyon Report 27 Oct 2016 22:53

there is a birth for Jennifer A ellis mother Rayner

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Oct 2016 01:34

In case you weren't aware, this is the official site to order a copy of the birth certificate at a cost of £9.25 including world wide postage and packing. All major credit and debit cards accepted.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Use the details from the reference you found but do not add additional details.

The birth certificate asks the mother for the surnames she has ever been known as regardless if she was a widow or had divorced/seperated from her husband. The space for the father's name might have been left blank.

As divorce proceedings could take a number of years, there's no guarentee that you share the same father. You might have to do the math once you have the dob and compare it to your parent's marriage date.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Oct 2016 08:39

A birth is reg in the mums current surname even if she is separated divorced or widowed. It will give the mothers maiden name .

The cert will tell you if a father is named on it

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Oct 2016 09:26

One thing we perhaps should ask - are you aware if your father had to pay maintenance for a child? Had you actually been told that he had a daughter with Annie Rayner or did you just stumble across the birth registration?

What we're trying to establish is whether there is any foundation to your suspicion that Jennifer is biologically.