Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Andrew Lawton/Laughton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

storm8

storm8 Report 28 Oct 2016 09:58

Hello, Wondering if anyone can help me, i am looking for my biological father, who was born possibly between 1944-1947. He was working in London in 1966 and came from Scotland, his family were farmers in Scotland, he had brothers and sisters i believe. He actually never knew about me, and this is the only information i have. I guess its almost impossible, but any help would be very much appreciated. <3

malyon

malyon Report 28 Oct 2016 10:36

was he named on your birth cert.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Oct 2016 10:45

to be named on the birth cert he would have had to acknowledge paternity

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Oct 2016 11:12

His birth, if it was in Scotland, would be on Scotland's People.
https://scotlandspeople.gov.uk

There doesn't appear to be one for Andrew Lawton or Laughton 1945-1950, but there are several for Andrew Lawson? If you know the sibling's names, you might be able to narrow down the area.

storm8

storm8 Report 28 Oct 2016 17:18

Not named on the birth certificate.

Thank you Detective!!! I never knew about Scotlands People! I will take a look at that now. I do not know the siblings names:(

storm8

storm8 Report 28 Oct 2016 22:16

Someone has told me also to check out the surname Lorton!! Is this Scottish?

patchem

patchem Report 29 Oct 2016 00:10

You can do an internet search for the surname Lorton, but it does not appear to be specifically Scottish.

When you say that someone has told you to check out Lorton, do you mean someone on this site, or someone with some knowledge of your family?

Did your Mother tell you the surname without specifying the spelling?

storm8

storm8 Report 29 Oct 2016 02:26

Correct, the spelling was not specified, i had researched Lawton /Laughton/ Lawnton then a friend suggested Lorton, no knowledge of the family, just trying to see what other options there are for this name, as a reply on here from Detective said there was no births for either spelling in the years we believe he was born. My mum although does not know the spelling definitely believes its pronounced this way. Thank you for trying to help, i know its almost impossible i have such limited information.

patchem

patchem Report 29 Oct 2016 08:02

There is also the possibility that Andrew is his second name.

Any idea of what part of Scotland, and have you considered births in e.g. Northumberland or Cumberland?

patchem

patchem Report 29 Oct 2016 08:19

There is a Michael Andrew Lawton in 1942 - is that birth year too far out? (And Edinburgh is not really a farming area).

storm8

storm8 Report 29 Oct 2016 10:10

No Idea what part of Scotland, have tried searching the whole of the uk area also including Northumberland & Cumberland area. I think possibly 1942 would be to far out actually, thank you though its a good ideat i never thought to maybe look at Andrew as a second name.

storm8

storm8 Report 30 Oct 2016 18:03

Hi Michel, thank you for answering, I don't think the year is to far out, at this stage it could be anything.The only real clues i have is that my Andrew came to London to work in 1966, he was working as a wine waiter in what was the Mecca halls &function / restaurant in mincing lane, near Tower bridge, as i originally come from the Southwark area, now i don't even know if he went back to Scotland, he had a very strong accent and so not even sure how long he was there for? I have tried to research Mecca Halls, they eventually turned into bingo halls? Everywhere i search is a dead end. I have now signed up to ancestry and have a tree going and even had my dna testing done, but because i have both sides that are scottish thats almost impossible also:) I am diligently going through each match and trying to find out if where the link is. Thank you again Michael.