Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cpp11

Cpp11 Report 28 Oct 2016 18:15

I have found my birth mothers marriage certificate
I met her when I was ten long story
I know she had three other children
How do I go about finding them please

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Oct 2016 19:09

On freebmd site you can put in her married surname and her maiden name to see if you get results in an expected area and time frame.

Success will depend alot on the frequency of that particular combination of surnames.

Once you know possible forenames, click SEARCH on the top right of GR site and look for name matches when you 'search all members trees.'

If you choose to contact, be sensitive to the fact that they may not know of you, so a general inquiry about the family surname, rather than direct questioning would be preferable, at least at first.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Oct 2016 22:02

Welcome to the boards, Catherine.

Just to clarify, in case you haven't used freebmd before, that's a "Births" search that Gwyn's talking about.

Enter your mother's married name where it says "Surname", and her maiden surname where it says "Spouse/mother surname".
At "Date range", enter the year she married as the first year, and then allow a reasonable span of years to the second year.

You don't need to enter anything else.
Click "Find" and see what comes up.
Then follow the rest of Gwyn's advice.

patchem

patchem Report 29 Oct 2016 00:02

Could you confirm which country your Mother married in, please?

Cpp11

Cpp11 Report 29 Oct 2016 11:55

She Married in Islington in 1964 :-)

Cpp11

Cpp11 Report 29 Oct 2016 11:56

Thank you all for your advice :-)