Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gordon Robert Atkinson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 29 Oct 2016 17:07

This is my brother he was adopted born 23rd March 1945 our mothers name was Mollie Atkinson her maiden name was Knight and he was born at Westow Croft maternity home for unmarried mothers and adopted mum lived in Keighley any information would be appreciated

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Oct 2016 17:14

Try looking in members trees to see if anyone has him listed

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Oct 2016 18:29

If you haven't already, and your and his name to this Government site
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Find his birth registration on https://www.freebmd.org.uk
Add a Postem with a dedicated email address such as @gmail or another free provider. Say something along the lines of 'Birth family would welcome contact'.

Try & track down which adoption agency handled the adoption. If they still hold his file, they might accept a letter from you to keep with it. If he had a 'good' adoption, he may not even realise that his mother isn't his biological one & not even think to look at his case file.

Going by various TV programmes, it is possible to hire an intermediary who might be able to assist if they are granted access to the files. Even they can't give you his new name without his permission.