Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for our brother LYNCH BORN 1956

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 2 Jan 2017 17:50

Hi we are hoping to find our brother, we know that he was Michael " Lynch when born, on the 5th June 1956, in Cambridgeshire, his birth mum was Margaret lynch & he was adopted in the area. We know he has changed names since, , but he was in Ireland in October 2016 & met with a disgruntled uncle who wont pass on any information to us. We think he may be living in London, if anyone who may know of information regarding our brother, we would love to meet with him. <3

patchem

patchem Report 2 Jan 2017 20:05

Welcome to genes reunited, Sharon.

Have you added your name to the adoption contact register?

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

Sharon

Sharon Report 2 Jan 2017 20:29

Hi, my sister has but they have found nothing on it. as we are not 100% of the name, but we have put Michael Lynch, peter Webb or Michael Webb, but nothing has come u on the contact list. The adoption people say there is nothing either as this adoption seems to have been done privatley We have found his birth cert all right & it shows he was born Michael Lynch
:-)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Jan 2017 21:08

Sharon,

You need to add his name to your tree on here. I don't see it.

Clearly he is looking for birth family as he managed to track down your uncle. Make sure his mother is in your tree also.

Rose

Sharon

Sharon Report 2 Jan 2017 22:30

Hi Rose, at the moment i can only put down Michael Lynch as we know his name or surname has been changed thank you for your help on this :-)

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

patchem

patchem Report 2 Jan 2017 22:33

He will know that you do not know his name.

But if you put his name and his birth mother's name etc, then he can contact you to find out why they are in your tree if he ever uses this site.

Sharon

Sharon Report 2 Jan 2017 22:42

I'M not sure how to add his name? or do i add it in on extras to my mums tree

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Jan 2017 00:17

Add him as a son to your mother. Ideally you should add an unknown father for him, but for the sake of simplicty alter his surname to Lynch. Otherwise, assuming your mother married your father, he'd end up with the same surname as you were given at birth.

Sharon

Sharon Report 3 Jan 2017 01:29

thank you

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Jan 2017 11:34

Sharon, if he googles, as I did,

"michael lynch" 1956 adopted

he will find the story of your search, as I did. ;)

http://theenchantingvalley.ning.com/forum/topics/seeking-michael

Hopefully the experience with the uncle won't put him off, and he didn't get the idea that everyone in the family felt the same.

This thread should also eventually show up in google searches. So make sure you keep your email address in this account current so he can reach you if he finds it here.

And check my advice below.

Sharon

Sharon Report 5 Jan 2017 14:16

Hi JoonieCloonie.

Thank you so much for your kind words. We have thought that regarding what ever our uncle has said to him, but we would be hoping our brother would give us the benefit of the doubt. My uncle doesn't get on with any of the family, including his 2 sisters, but a very long story.My sister & i have spoke so many times of finding our brother, that it is sad to think he was so close & even had to pass my front door to go to Skibbereen, where my mum was living. I do hope down the line we do meet him. :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Jan 2017 15:08

Did your mother tell you if the adoption was arranged by a named agency or social services? Have you been in contact with them?

Although they wouldn't be allowed to give you any details, if you sent them a copy of the newspaper article, it would show that Michael wanted to know about his birth family.. Should they have a recent contact address, there's a chance they'd be willing to pass your details on.

Its a long shot, but worth trying.

Sharon

Sharon Report 5 Jan 2017 21:26

Hi +++DetEcTive+++

My sister has been onto the adoption agency & nothing showed up. From what we gather it was done privately & through the church. We are not 100% of his first name, so thats where we come stumped. We know he was Lynch at the time of birth, & it may have been Michael or John. we nothing major to go :-(

Sharon

Sharon Report 5 Jan 2017 21:26

Hi +++DetEcTive+++

My sister has been onto the adoption agency & nothing showed up. From what we gather it was done privately & through the church. We are not 100% of his first name, so thats where we come stumped. We know he was Lynch at the time of birth, & it may have been Michael or John. we nothing major to go :-(

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Jan 2017 22:07

For your tree here, Sharon, you can put him in under as many names as you want.

Just make him a separate child of your mother, for each name.

You're the only one looking at your tree, and you know what it means. :-)

That way, each of the names you think are possible will show up in search results for that name, if someone searches.

You're not really supposed to (consent of living persons is needed, for putting them in trees) ... but you might put the rude uncle in your tree, for example. His name is probably common enough that without specific identifying details (keep the place of birth general), it would likely not invade privacy. There's a possibility of your brother using the uncle's name in a search, if he ever comes here.

You might also maybe change your username to something like "Sharon, Mary Lynch's daughter" (I'm not using your mum's real name in case you don't want to), so when you appear opposite a search result, your connection is clear to someone who knows.

If only he would google what I did! But then if his name wasn't Michael, why would he? :-)

Mind you, a post of yours is top of my google search results list for

lynch 1956 adoption (and also for lynch cambridge 1956 adoption)

but that could just be because google knows me so well and tailors results to my genealogy obsession.

hold on ... you do know his name at birth, no?

you have got the birth certificate, and it names your mum as mother? then you know his name.

One thing Detective usually mentions, too, is to stick a 'postem' against his name at Freebmd (be sure to include an email address you will always have access to - an anon one at gmail, for instance - because there is no messaging system at Freebmd). Since you think you're not positive of the birth, just make it very general - family looking for contact, like.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Sharon

Sharon Report 6 Jan 2017 01:51

Hi we are hoping to find our brother, we think he may have been "Michael" LYNCH when born, in June 1956, in Cambridgeshire his birth mum was lynch & he was adopted in the area. We know he has changed names since, could be webb, but he was in Ireland in October & met with a disgruntled uncle who wont pass on any information to us. We think he may be living in London, if anyone who may know of information regarding our brother, we would love to meet with him.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Jan 2017 02:04

Sharon, you need to order a birth certificate, starting with the one you think is most likely. If it's not the right one (wrong mother), then you move on to the next one.

We all have to do this at some point in our family tree searches -- whether to figure out which Mary our grx3 grandfather married in 1845 ... or to find the correct name and birth record for your brother.

I've never done it, but you can order a certificate and specify that you don't want it if the one you've requested does not match the mother's name, and I believe there is no charge.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

register at the site, take the birth registration details from freebmd, and order the certificate. (Don't ever order from anywhere else, like Ancestry. Double or triple the cost for nothing.)

You may be onto something as I see no later record (e.g. marriage) of that person.

Oops, just saw your private message.

For your tree, just keep adding possible names for him. ;-)

When somebody else searches, they don't actually see your tree, they just see the name they're searching for. So it wouldn't matter if you had a rellie named Bozo the Clown in the tree, nobody would be any the wiser.

First step, get the certificate! and you will be at least one step closer to not just guessing, and you might have the first important part of the puzzle.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Jan 2017 02:08

okay here's another thing on that one, double registration.

I'll send you the details by PM - everybody else knows what I mean :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Jan 2017 02:17

but now I've ruled him out

The parents of that child married shortly afterward and had two more children.

The mother's given name was not your mother's name.

And that child married under his father's surname.

So maybe you would delete that new given name for your brother from your post, since we're now talking about the rather personal details of a stranger's life.

and back to the drawing board.

I think I'd say: try ordering the Michael certificate ...

Sharon

Sharon Report 7 Jan 2017 02:33

Thank you JoonieCloonie :-) :-)