Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for adopted half brother

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 15 Feb 2017 11:47

I am looking for my half brother who was born Alan Stephen Jones in 1961 in Doncaster

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Feb 2017 13:02

Welcome to the Boards, Michelle.

Try searching all member trees for his birth name - top right under Search. If he is listed, contact the tree owner using the Find out more button. It's always possible they are a current family member.

As you say he was adopted, add your name to the adoption contact register and hope he had too
https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

His birth reg is on Freebmd.org.uk. You could add a post'em message with a generic email address saying that birth half sister would welcome contact.
The birth index doesn't indicate he was adopted, but then the system did change around then.

Which parent do you share? Was he adopted out of the family, or could it have been by a parent's subsequent spouse/partner?

Michelle

Michelle Report 15 Feb 2017 13:25

Many thanks for your reply. We had the same mum. He was adopted out of the family sometime in 1961 and I was adopted in 1962. My birth mother subsequently had 2 other children which remained with her and her new (2nd) husband. My father was not her 1st husband. I have managed to track down a copy of his birth certificate. I will add my name to the adoption contact register in the hope that he may have done the same.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Feb 2017 23:27

You might add his name to this site - the objective is to get hs name in as many places as possible to increase the chances that he or current family will spot it.

http://www.missing-you.net/categories/adoptions.php

One of the post - from a tracing service - says

"If you are a birth relative seeking an adopted adult, you have a right to an intermediary service under the Adoption and Children Act. Apply to the Adoption and Permanency [fostering] team at your Local Authority Social Services.

Some LA's offer a free service and others (more cash strapped) have delegated the service to another Adoption Support Agency which may charge. However it is the only sure way to find out the adoptee's new identity, have them traced and asked if they would like contact from you. You may have to wait in a queue and the process can seem bureaucratic but it is the only way forward unless the adoptee searches for you."
Of course, even if you did have the funds and Alan was traced, there's always the possibility that he doesn't want contact with his birth family.

Michelle

Michelle Report 16 Feb 2017 11:30

Thank you; I will add his name to the site and look into my LA's service. Fingers crossed