Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Andy Pollock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 10 Apr 2017 11:40

Hi, does anyone know any information about a Andy Pollock that used to work in Gavinburn Bus Station Scotland as a driver in the 1960s. He was born around 1939-1942 and i believe he lived in Pollak. I also heard he married a Isabel but not 100% sure. I don't have much info on him at all and know its a long shot but i can only try. Thanks :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Apr 2017 12:59

Well the birth and any marriage will be on Scotlands People which isn't a subs site I,m afraid

Have you looked on the electoral rolls

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Apr 2017 13:30

No Andy Pollock refs coming up but several Andrew Pollack living in Glasgow on the electoral rolls

Think you need more info on him to find him

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Apr 2017 14:41

Its possible to register and search for free on Scotlands People.

I've had a look for marriages for an Andrew Pollock from 1957-1990 across all of Scotland.
It doesn't seem to be a marriage to an Isabel as a first name, nor any variations. There are no marriages for an Andy.

How confident are you on the spelling of his surname? Might his birth have been registered with a different first name than the one he was using?

Dougieb1

Dougieb1 Report 10 Apr 2017 17:55

There is a birth registered for an Andrew Pollock born in 1942 in Pollok

Pollok is an area to the South West of Glasgow.

Again I also don't see a marriage to a woman by the forename of Isabel.

I would suggest that you buy a copy of the birth certificate.

This will give you the name of Andrew Pollock's parents who may now be dead.

If you are then sure that you are on the right track then you may have to buy a copy of a death certificate which would give you the name of the person who registered the death.

If the parents are still alive then you could firstly try a search on The Electoral Roll looking for the names of the parents

These are the only ways that I can suggest in furthering your search.

Doug.

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 10 Apr 2017 18:18

Hi. Thanks everyone. Sorry I went out and only just seen your reply. It's a hard one as this Andy Pollock is my brother in laws dad. He wasn't on his birth certificate and he has never known him and all the info I have is what I have said up above. I don't even know for definite if Pollock is the right spelling. I was just hoping maybe someone would remember a Andy Pollock that worked on the busses at Gavinburn bus station but I knew it would be a long shot

Dougieb1

Dougieb1 Report 10 Apr 2017 19:44

I personally think that if you wish to pursue the search that you have no option but to purchase the birth certificate.

This may either help open or close the door to your search.

When you undertake a search you must have a positive starting point..

Doug.

patchem

patchem Report 10 Apr 2017 22:29

If you want to find a bus driver who used to work in Pollok then you may be better off writing to the local newspaper, in a more general way.

So far around 30 people have read your request, most of them will never have been to Glasgow and will have no knowledge of the names of any bus drivers.

Or try e.g. facebook to see if there is a group for memories of old Pollok/Glasgow, or similar that may be able to give some pointers.

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 10 Apr 2017 22:32

Thanks. I have tried Facebook but if your not friends with people on there then messages go into filtered messages and some people don't know they have it. Thanks for your replies

Dougieb1

Dougieb1 Report 11 Apr 2017 20:44

There are significant number of people,both male & female, born in the 1940's in the Pollok area of Glasgow with the surname of Pollock.

Pollock is a fairly common Scottish surname.

There is a chance that Andrew Pollock is related to one of them.

Scottish Birth Certificates are very detailed in that they give the date of the marriage of the parents.

There is also tradition that a child may be given the maiden name of the mother as a middle name.

As I have said purchasing Andrew Pollock's birth certificate will give you the names of his parents.

If you then do a search you may find a sibling born in the 1940's with a middle name of the mother.

For example my middle name is my mother's maiden name.

I have used this way of doing a search with a good degree of success.

Dougie.

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 11 Apr 2017 21:54

Thank you